Tewks doing his thing in MLB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
What an accomplishment. I know a guy who's proabaly fit to be tied right now!

Good work Bobby!

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Yea it makes all the criticism look pretty silly. Sometimes going about things the right way is the difference.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A Teacher is always happy when a student does well with what he has been taught.:p
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...o-transformed-his-swing-at-the-home-run-derby
*** I'm going back to my forum now. Sorry for the interruption...***
200.gif

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
IMO Tewks provided some valuable information on the forum; it is no big surprise he is making a positive impact on MLB hitters.

Congratulations to him an honor well deserved.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Always interesting to see what points are made in articles like this.

But Tewksbary concluded they all embraced the same principle: as their back hip starts to move forward, their hands are moving backward. And their front foot is still in the air when the pitcher releases the ball.

Traditionally, he says, many coaches teach hitters that their hands and hips should move forward in tandem, and that it’s important to get the front foot down earlier.

“Josh’s style has become the big leg kick, drops his hands a bit,” Tewksbary said. “That’s something that a lot of coaches frown upon because they see the movement and they see it’s creating a long swing – too much movement, too complicated. But Josh does a really good job of understanding his movement and how to synch it up to the pitcher so it actually creates timing for him.”

Hitters talk about the “load” – the moment before the swing when their weight is back and their body is cocked. The timing, of course, is delicate and often difficult to explain, whether the hitter is a 12-year-old or a pro. But Tewksbary says many hitters tend to load too early.

“The word Josh likes to use is ‘gather,’ ” he said. “So instead of trying to load early – a lot of hitters will load before they see the pitch – Josh will gather, and have his weight back, but he won’t have his hands back. His hands are actually down when the ball is being released.”

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sincere apologies to Coach Tewksbary. My lack of participation in the hitting threads and crappy memory for names contributed to me making the mistake of confusing him with someone he is definitely not.

With respect,
Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812