Tactfull request for change / change teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
I have discussed this in other post but I'm looking for feedback on how to tactfully approach our head coach on playing time and alternate positions.

Currently my 12U daughter (and the rest of the outfield) are not getting time anywhere else on the field. It seems to be common practice that teams mix things up in pool play games and put their "A team" in on bracket day. We play our A set in every game minus pitcher changes. I believe this approach cost us a chance to place in out last tournament since our A pitcher did sat and sun. She was gassed mid second game Sunday and could not deliver strikes and our no. 2 is not much better than our tired no.1 so walks started flowing and we lost. I am an assistant on the team but really all I do is run drills, I have no say on team management. I have a good relationship with the head coach but he tends to not respond well to criticism (not with anger just doesn't seem to listen). I spoke with him about this same matter before the spring season to no avail. I think he perceived it to be only about my daughter not the other players. I have asked several times if he wants my daughter or any other outfielders to rotate or focus on infield during practice and the answer is always the same.

So I want to bring this issue to his attention without burning any bridges. I want to stay with the team but not under these conditions. Should I tell him we are attending tryouts? Or ask for the change and just exit if they don't occur? Any thoughts?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We always went to tryouts and informed the coach we were leaving upon securing a spot on another team. In our case, I tried to have DD play on the best team she could make that rewarded hard work and improvement. She was never a starter on a new team but had to earn it.

Feb 27, 2019
We always went to tryouts and informed the coach we were leaving upon securing a spot on another team. In our case, I tried to have DD play on the best team she could make that rewarded hard work and improvement. She was never a starter on a new team but had to earn it.
This is the approach I'm leaning towards since I feel my concerns were voiced and not acted on. As a coach I feel attached to the other kids more than I would have been as just a parent.

May 17, 2012
This is the sort of thing you want to ask about BEFORE you accept a position on the team.

How will you manage secondary position in pool/bracket/showcase games.

Feb 26, 2018
Our HC from the very first team meeting said once we get in bracket play, he's going with his top 9. He usually does, unless he does a DP/FLEX, then it's technically 10. He will move girls in and out if he feels he needs to make a change.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
always went to tryouts and informed the coach we were leaving upon securing a spot on another team. In our case, I tried to have DD play on the best team she could make that rewarded hard work and improvement. She was never a starter on a new team but had to earn

Through 12U our girls worked IF and OF at every practice regardless. DD took ground balls at every IF spot even though she is a lefty. It doesn't take 30 or 45 minites to get everyone work are every position.

Jul 14, 2018
DD faced a similar situation last year. Her coach was a former D1 baseball player. Terrific coach, taught her a lot, but as you'd expect from someone who was an elite athlete himself, he hated to lose. The team had a solid #1 pitcher (DD was #3), and he used her in every inning possible -- pool games, scrimmages, every elimination game. She always hit the wall at some point Sunday afternoon.

Some coaches are good with the details, but bad at seeing the big picture. You're probably not going to convince him that developing all of his players is just as important as winning a couple of pool games.

Apr 28, 2019
I have discussed this in other post but I'm looking for feedback on how to tactfully approach our head coach on playing time and alternate positions.

Currently my 12U daughter (and the rest of the outfield) are not getting time anywhere else on the field. It seems to be common practice that teams mix things up in pool play games and put their "A team" in on bracket day. We play our A set in every game minus pitcher changes. I believe this approach cost us a chance to place in out last tournament since our A pitcher did sat and sun. She was gassed mid second game Sunday and could not deliver strikes and our no. 2 is not much better than our tired no.1 so walks started flowing and we lost. I am an assistant on the team but really all I do is run drills, I have no say on team management. I have a good relationship with the head coach but he tends to not respond well to criticism (not with anger just doesn't seem to listen). I spoke with him about this same matter before the spring season to no avail. I think he perceived it to be only about my daughter not the other players. I have asked several times if he wants my daughter or any other outfielders to rotate or focus on infield during practice and the answer is always the same.

So I want to bring this issue to his attention without burning any bridges. I want to stay with the team but not under these conditions. Should I tell him we are attending tryouts? Or ask for the change and just exit if they don't occur? Any thoughts?
What other positions does your daughter play? In your honest opinion coaches not Dad’s is your daughter a better option than current players getting bracket play nod?
If you answered yes then I would approach the HC privately and get his take on your daughters skill set.
You need to advocate for your daughter if you feel she is being short changed by politics, favoritism, poor coaching decisions, etc....
If you don’t like the response you feel you deserve it’s time to move on.

Apr 20, 2015
I think this depends a little on what type of team your daughter plays for. If this is a local A or lower team then it's not unreasonable to expect some game time at secondary positions. If this is an elite level team traveling nationally then it's not likely to happen and your on the wrong team. Opinions on whether those teams should exist not withstanding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2012
Changing teams is never easy as friendships have been made over time. DD changed organizations twice in 12 years. Both times it was to continue her development as a player. This is ultimately the question that only you and your DD can answer. A lot of this has to do with your long term goals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12