Stride or no Stride?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
I'm considering changing my DD's load. Normally, she would pick up her stride foot off the ground, move it toward her back foot and then stride forward before planting. The issue with this, is in the games she would panic and deviate from that load, probably because she sees the pitch coming and thinks she needs to speed up the load. I have tried telling her to simply start her load earlier, but she's not listening to me.

So for that reason I'm considering changing her load to where her stride foot is slightly on her toes prior to the load, and raise the stride foot heel up a bit before uncoiling.

My question is, is this going to reduce the amount of power that can be generated on the swing vs being able to lift that foot up and then down?

Most MLB hitters are putting their foot up off the ground, and some even quite dramatically. So I don't want my DD to lose power on her already weak swing, but just thinking of other ways to get her to keep her swing consistent during games and BP. Any thoughts?
It depends on how advanced of a hitter your daughter is IMO.
Less skilled girls I have preload if you will. They lean back slightly with weight on back leg. This simplifies the swing so all they need to do is stride forward.
More advanced girls with good coordination and quick bats I have load either on pitchers 1st movement or on the release based on speed of pitcher. So they will load (lean back) and then move forward into the ball.
Both stride forward. I’ m not a fan of a big leg kick. Just a subtle stride forward to stay balanced. I believe stride lends itself to more power. No stride less movement less can go wrong maybe more consistent contact but definite loss in power.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As an FYI, my dd was a no stride hitter until the summer between her junior and senior year. When she used her "fall back swing," she was a no strider. I've posted her swings all over the internet including her #49 and #50 career home runs. They were both no stride and both were major jacks.

I do agree that it takes time teach both load and timing and so, keep that in mind. If she has had success in the past, fine tune what she is doing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD broke her finger when she was younger, she wore a splint for too long and was bailing out. She didn't want to be hurt again.

She has been a no stride ever sense.

We play with her batting lefty a little bit and she strides, rightly no stride.

She has been only no stride on her teams.

Apr 28, 2019
DD broke her finger when she was younger, she wore a splint for too long and was bailing out. She didn't want to be hurt again.

She has been a no stride ever sense.

We play with her batting lefty a little bit and she strides, rightly no stride.

She has been only no stride on her teams.
She’s a little gun shy I get it. If you guys are ok with the way she’s hitting then go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802