Straddling home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
I put that question out there because she came home and said coach wanted that. I have always had her near the left hand corner with left foot. I tell her to yes him to death and do it the way you have always been taught. Just because you are a hs coach does not mean you know what you are talking about

Jul 22, 2015
I put that question out there because she came home and said coach wanted that. I have always had her near the left hand corner with left foot. I tell her to yes him to death and do it the way you have always been taught. Just because you are a hs coach does not mean you know what you are talking about
That would be my exact advice to my dd as well. Straddling the plate (or straddling up the line) is an old-school baseball setup and just begs for her to be run over at the plate.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Dd is freshman varsity catcher. Coach wants her to straddle home near the apex on tag plays at home. I have never heard of this. She has always put her left heel near the left front corner of the plate. Opinions on straddling home.
Good way to get a catcher hurt......

Sep 29, 2014
I would definitely do the yes nodding and just keep doing what you are doing.

Does she have anyone that instructs her privately as a catcher? If the coach just won't let it go you could point coach in that direction. If push comes to shove just have her tell the coach, all the instruction she has had says it's a dangerous play and I don't want to jeopardize my season with the team. The explanation of toe down the line shouldn't be a hard one to translate to the coach...knees simply don't bend sideways. Another simple reason also is it is not legal at the point where the umpire determines you are obstructing and why let it be in the hands of the umpire your idea of when obstruction starts might be and little different than his and guess who is going to win that argument.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog