simple effective bunt coverage for rec all star team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
combined team (girls played on two different teams in ref season, AS starts in 8 days, will only have a couple of practices. I feel the team needs one simple bunt coverage, not enough time to coordinate more than that (maybe if they progress)

corners crash, 2B to 1B, SS to 3B, CF to 2B. get the out at 1B, do not worry about runner advancing to 2B beyond trying to keep them to 2B, rather than turning and going to 3B. if runner on 3B, check back if time, if not get the out (obviously situationally dependent in late game scenario, but that will require a TO probably). 2B (covering 1B) has to be ready to fire to either HP, 3B, or run ball to circle. variation is if 1B is not that nimble, have 2B play between circle and 1B line, have 1B play behind base shaded towards 2B.

thoughts?
I would have my 1st baseman stay home. 2nd baseman at that level always seems to forget to cover 1st or is too slow getting over. Probably better off just having 3rd, P, & C fielding the bunt less can go wrong.

Oct 4, 2018
... and while we coaches often think it's possible, throwing out a runner at second on a steal is very hard at the 10U Rec/All Star level. So much has to go right.

It's more common that the ball goes into the outfield.

With your CF crashing to cover second on a steal, you might end up conceding a run just going for the 2% chance you make an out.

Now I'm all for developing and learning and trying things. Just be realistic on the chances you actually get the runner out at second with some girls crashing, CF covering second, etc. etc.

May 6, 2015
this is 12u rec AS, but I still think chances of getting runner are slim. Id say our Cs make throw good enough to get runner out 50% of time (taking into account runners they are just not gonna get period), but big variable is catch and tag. Cs are one hopping it quite a bit (throws on a rope, angled down, they are instructed to take pitchers head off, P's job to get out of way), SS does not always catch clean, and if they do, still have to apply tag. chances of getting out probably about 1 in 5

Apr 20, 2017
If you have a truly dominant pitcher with speed that batters are always behind. You may want to leave first at home and play 3rd up close. Pull in your right fielder to shallow and let them have 3rd bag. Of course only with right handed hitters. You keep your best glove on 1st for the out. You have CF still backing up on throw to 2nd. If runner on 1st. If runner gets to second then SS has 3rd bag and RF is backup. When worried about small ball with fast pitching this has worked great for me in tournaments at younger ages. But no change ups with this alignment. It also works better with a good SS style athlete playing the up 3rd baseman.

Jun 11, 2013
We tried having first crash at 10U, but 2B just couldn't catch well enough. We eventually just left 1B back and got a lot more outs. It did help that our P's were good athletes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812