Show the Ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The bigger lesson to be learned here is not necessarily the rule, but rather your ability to adjust to the umpire calling THIS particular game, and his perception of the rules.
Remember to control your controllables!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is not called "presenting the ball" , but the pitcher is supposed to do some specific things before throwing the ball:

1. Prior to pitching, the pitcher must take a position with shoulders in line with first and third base with the ball in the glove or pitching hand, and with the hands separated.
  2. While in this position, the pitcher shall take (or simulate taking) a signal from the catcher.
  3. After completing “2” above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or ​moving.

Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1.

May 17, 2012
When using wristbands I tell my pitchers to:

1. Receive the numbers from the dugout;
2. Step on the mound and nod "yes" to the simulated signal from the catcher (whether the catcher gives it or not);
3. Pitch the ball as normal.

This keeps us legal and the umpires are happy. It prevents the walk-through pitches that others mentioned while keeping the game moving.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I bet we have been told 10 times this year to present the ball and so, my confusion. I could not find a mention in the rule book. Also, I knew I was correct about the simulation of taking a sign. In fact, I'd estimate that the pitcher "paused" perhaps 20% of the time. What I found so odd was that the umpire just stared at me. I've never encountered that before. I've mentioned here before that I think the umpires in my area are exceptional. We were on the road and about 50 minutes away from our area. So, maybe he just thought I was an idiot and was not going to respond. As I said, he did get mad and I thought I was going to get tossed. Must have been a bad hair day or something for him.

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I bet we have been told 10 times this year to present the ball and so, my confusion. I could not find a mention in the rule book. Also, I knew I was correct about the simulation of taking a sign. In fact, I'd estimate that the pitcher "paused" perhaps 20% of the time. What I found so odd was that the umpire just stared at me. I've never encountered that before. I've mentioned here before that I think the umpires in my area are exceptional. We were on the road and about 50 minutes away from our area. So, maybe he just thought I was an idiot and was not going to respond. As I said, he did get mad and I thought I was going to get tossed. Must have been a bad hair day or something for him.

He probably stared at you thinking "Is this guy really complaining about a rule that doesn't exist?"

You don't have to show the ball.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm always amazed at how many people still think this is a rule. I used to keep the ball in my glove, not in my hand. This just helped me to not "load" my glove with my grip on the ball, tipping my pitch to the batter. Instead, I'd keep ball in glove, then spin the ball 3 times while in my glove as I would get the grip. It's imperative to spin an equal number of times for every single pitch, this way you're not spinning 3 times for a riseball, the only once for a drop (which is a much easier grip to get). Obviously if you take longer getting a grip on one pitch vs. another it will be come very easy to see what pitch is coming. Later in my life, i learned how to get my grip as I was moving forward in my delivery to prevent being picked even more. In men's fastpitch, it's not uncommon for hitters to see forearm muscles flexing as someone grips the ball to indicate what the ball is going to do... one of the reasons some pitchers would pitch with one sleeve even in 100 degrees. I think I saw Osterman do that in the past at a World Cup or something vs. Japan.... and, of course, she was taught that by Bobby Smith who was a great pitcher himself. But I digress. There's nothing you can do when an umpire clearly doesn't know the rules, he probably wouldn't even look at the rule book if you took that out and showed him "present the ball" doesn't exist, not wanting to be shown up. It's no different than an ump not knowing a good strikezone, not much you can do about it. Just contact your local umpire in chief or game assigner and make sure he/she instructs the umpires of this mistake.

Bill

Nov 16, 2015
I'm always amazed at how many people still think this is a rule. I used to keep the ball in my glove, not in my hand. This just helped me to not "load" my glove with my grip on the ball, tipping my pitch to the batter. Instead, I'd keep ball in glove, then spin the ball 3 times while in my glove as I would get the grip. It's imperative to spin an equal number of times for every single pitch, this way you're not spinning 3 times for a riseball, the only once for a drop (which is a much easier grip to get). Obviously if you take longer getting a grip on one pitch vs. another it will be come very easy to see what pitch is coming. Later in my life, i learned how to get my grip as I was moving forward in my delivery to prevent being picked even more. In men's fastpitch, it's not uncommon for hitters to see forearm muscles flexing as someone grips the ball to indicate what the ball is going to do... one of the reasons some pitchers would pitch with one sleeve even in 100 degrees. I think I saw Osterman do that in the past at a World Cup or something vs. Japan.... and, of course, she was taught that by Bobby Smith who was a great pitcher himself. But I digress. There's nothing you can do when an umpire clearly doesn't know the rules, he probably wouldn't even look at the rule book if you took that out and showed him "present the ball" doesn't exist, not wanting to be shown up. It's no different than an ump not knowing a good strikezone, not much you can do about it. Just contact your local umpire in chief or game assigner and make sure he/she instructs the umpires of this mistake.

Bill

Just referencing the highlighted portion. We also had a pick for catchers wiggling fingers when giving a sign. typically indicated a changeup

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2