Show the Ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We had a game this week where the coach called in the numbers using the arm band system. The pitcher was off of the rubber when receiving the numbers and then would step onto the rubber and throw. I mentioned to the plate umpire that the pitcher had to pause long enough to simulate taking a signal from the catcher and then could throw. I also mentioned to the umpire that the pitcher had to present the ball. The pitcher never showed the ball and would step onto the rubber and throw. I was somewhat put off by the response. The umpire stared at me. I made these two statements again. He stared at me. I said to him that I was not going to get ejected from a game over this but ... (mentioned the same again.) He got mad and I thought I was going to get ejected. He was so angry that I am sitting here questioning if I am right. However, I know I am right.

Am I right? I have never come across an umpire who reacted this way. In my area, I am well known and it is known that I rarely, if ever say anything. I am the typical coach in my area who coaches a lot and leaves the Blue to do their job. Again, I thought I was going to get tossed for this.

Aug 21, 2008
I can't speak to the umpire but, I can tell you that "present the ball" went out of the rule book 30 years ago. But people still think it's there. Unless you play in a league or something that specifically states that, the rule does not exist anymore. As long as the hands are separate, the ball can be in either glove or hand.

Bill

Feb 13, 2018
I can't speak to the umpire but, I can tell you that "present the ball" went out of the rule book 30 years ago. But people still think it's there. Unless you play in a league or something that specifically states that, the rule does not exist anymore. As long as the hands are separate, the ball can be in either glove or hand.

Bill

Man they made my daughter present the ball. I taught her to step on with the ball in her glove and not show it and they told her she had to step on with her hands separated and the ball in her non-glove hand. 10u USSSA tourney.

We also had this happen this week as well in high school game. Pitch and catch looked to coach in dugout who yelled loudly a number then stepped on to pitch and never simulated taking a sign. Also a bit surprised the let the blue ghost in high school ball also lol....guess it's a learning week for me.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
NFHS rules state this year that a pitcher must step on and simulate taking a sign. So for high school, yes you are correct.

We had a JV pitcher last night that was basically doing a walk thru. We did not say anything but I approached the umpire after to confirm our thoughts. He agreed with us and would have said something if we did. We were just happy to play JV innings and did not want to create an issue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My understanding...
- Hands must be separated when stepping on.
- Pitcher must pause after stepping on (as if to simulate taking a sign from C).

Nov 8, 2018

Bill

One of our pitchers last season in usssa tourney got called for this. It’s still alive. Maybe on life support but alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
One of our pitchers last season in usssa tourney got called for this. It’s still alive. Maybe on life support but alive.

That is because it is sad how many umpires have no clue what the rules are.

Bill is correct, the only requirement is hands separated. Ball can either be in glove or hand. You don't have to show the ball to either the umpire, the batter, the fans, or anyone.

Nov 8, 2018
That is because it is sad how many umpires have no clue what the rules are.

Bill is correct, the only requirement is hands separated. Ball can either be in glove or hand. You don't have to show the ball to either the umpire, the batter, the fans, or anyone.

Ball and hand were in glove in this case.

Apr 12, 2015
Ball and hand were in glove in this case.

Yeah, she needs to separate her hands when she steps up to the rubber as she's pretending to take a sign. Ball can stay in the glove though and doesn't need to be presented.

Nov 8, 2018
Yeah, she needs to separate her hands when she steps up to the rubber as she's pretending to take a sign. Ball can stay in the glove though and doesn't need to be presented.

Yes that young lady learned a valuable lesson. As did mine who saw it all go down. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802