Should I Be Done With Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
If you really don't want to play college or school ball there is no need to put yourself through the stress because it sounds like you simply are not enjoying yourself it sounds like you enjoy the game just not the environment and stress.

First is softball all you do? If you have other activities that you enjoy that either sports or hobbies maybe take some of the time you are investing in softball and focus on those activities.

As far as softball I would find the lowest threat environment you can that is interested in fun, problem is at 14U that is almost non existent if you can do Rec do that otherwise maybe reconsider school ball if you have friends that will be on the team you can really bond plus it can be intense but you know it is only going to last maybe three months then you are done, plus if your school has freshman or JV focus on that and don't even think about varsity.

Anyway as others have said it is very obvious that while you enjoy the game it is bringing way too much stress into your life now and it really is not worth it (strange to hear from a bunch of softball nuts) but find something you enjoy and are passionate about it does not have to be softball.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sounds like most are reading this as simply a reaction to a more competitive team and/or coach. If so, my essay on the subject went over-board. I was responding to ''heart-racing, scared to death,'' things that made me think of panic attacks or anxiety disorders.

If it's just a case of ''this team is too serious for me,'' then you don't need the stress. If it's a case of ''I really want to do this, but I'm overwhelmed by stress and anxiety,'' then it's a tougher question because then it's not softball. It's something that could stand in the way of other things you want in life. There's help for that, and it can get better. My own daughter has had to work through some of this. But it's important to know what we're dealing with.

Jan 14, 2013
Massachusetts
I think your next conversation should be with your coach. He may be very surprised to hear that he is having that affect on you or he may not. But you will know exactly where he stands and I think that will make your decision easier. Good luck to you, you are a very thoughtful person.

Jul 17, 2016
Interesting article on dealing with stress. Question becomes when is stress worth it, and when is it not?

Embracing stress is more important than reducing stress, Stanford psychologist says

Here's the Ted talk to go along with that. My kid's had anxiety as a side effect of post concussion syndrome, and her therapist she went to for dealing with the ongoing migraine's and anxiety issues arising from them recommended it:

We've probably all seen kids who are pressured into sports, or pressured to try to push things past the kid's level of enjoyment. Glad to see your mom is working with you to re-assess your situation. We've told ours that we love watching her play, but when it's no longer fun, or challenging, or interesting to her, we're out whenever that line is crossed.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
OP-

You can quit if you want to. Its just softball.

Keep in mind that there will be times in your adult life(comming soon) when you will be faced with stressful situations that are impossible to excape. You will have to compose yourself and work through these trying times.

Dealing with this softball situation head on will help prepare you for real life.

Come on, you got this. The coach knows you can play. He didnt give you a spot on the team, you earned it.
Just turn up your intensity. Kick the intimidation in the butt and get to work. You will earn a starting spot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28