RF Backup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Runner on 1st.

Coach expects DD to run at an angle to 1st after every non hit ball in case C trys to pick runner off.

This seems wrong to me, just wearing her out.

DD ends up cheating towards line and not in a good position for hit ball.

I personally would rather them to drift left, ready to run if something happens.

Thoughts?

Jun 11, 2013
Never ever change the position you are playing worrying about a backup on a pickoff. However, you do need to move every pitch in case of a potential throw. Your DD will learn to better read the situations in the future and know when it's more likely that a throw will be made and adjust her "effort" when it's required. To me the more important backup is on throws to first if there is a lot of area there.

DD played a lot of RF and it's tiring if played right. She said she was less tired if she caught 3 games than playing 3 games in RF.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Tuesday ball was hit to P who threw it to 1st sideways, silly runner was thrown out at 2nd by DD.

If ball is in play every player better be going somewhere.

It is the non hit balls that bother me.

Oct 13, 2017
Just like MI pinching the throw backs, she may not need to get all the way there just as long as everyones feet are moving.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
As others have noted, doesn't need to be max effort on every pitch, jog a few steps in the right direction and return. Rinse-repeat. If a snap throw is being made, increase effort to be in position for over throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28