Replacement Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You don't need to post all that stuff, I know the rules...just wasting thread space, just
having normal conversation with ya...hahaha :)

That's what im saying, umps need to realize what a "rattle" is and what is normal sounds out of new
bats. Too many things are considered a "rattle" by a lot of umps because they arent up to speed.
Kid hits a ball and drops the bat and it makes a sound, all of a sudden the bat has a rattle and cant be used.
Happened this weekend as I got a phone call...haha.
Umps shakes a bat and it makes a clicking sound at the connection, omg...its rattling and cant be used...when
its only the connection flexing...had that call as well.
Even glue rattling inside isn't an issue but ruled as such. But never going to change some things.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
You make good points that need to be addressed by the alphabet soup of organizations ... what is a rattle?

I would agree with you on the dropped bat. I would disagree with you on the clicking sound at the connection. But those are both just our interpretations without definition and guidance by the organizing bodies. Without that, umpires are going to err on the side of caution and toss out anything questionable.

Sorry for the data-dump, I thought you were trying to say bats rattle at manufacture. I had a coach try bringing the same broken bat out repeatedly and arguing just that. I think I posted the story on here before.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
its ok...hahaha...I was like, wth is all that writing :)

But, glue rattles can happen right from factory AND happen quite often. Nothing wrong with the bat. I have
had numerous bats do that. Doesn't take much to dislodge a glue "turd" from around the cap :)

The connection clicking is nothing wrong with the bat..happens a lot on well used bats. Problem is, seen umps grab a bat
from the handle and shake the bat...which will make the connection flex. Instead of grabbing the bat by
the barrel and shaking.

I def get the safety issue, but I think umps need to be educated on bats a little more before being an "expert" on them
to tell a girl who just spent 300 bucks that she cant use her perfectly fine bat.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Here you go.

Great pic. Ours cracked in the same spot...started on onside eventually worked it's way around. Wasn't sure it was a crack or a paint....it passed umpire inspections in two tournaments but our last tournament and now it developed another one up near the end of the barrel that was diaganol and the fibers were showing....It's off to Easton yesterday.

Mar 28, 2014
Sorry for the data-dump, I thought you were trying to say bats rattle at manufacture. I had a coach try bringing the same broken bat out repeatedly and arguing just that. I think I posted the story on here before.
No need to apologize, I found the information you provided to be interesting. More than one person reads these posts you know. ;)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
What a surprise :)

BUT, his post was for my response so he posted the rule for my benefit, to which I said I didn't need the info.
So I think I am allowed to answer that I didn't need the info. Thanks for looking out for us TX :)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
What a surprise :)

BUT, his post was for my response so he posted the rule for my benefit, to which I said I didn't need the info.
So I think I am allowed to answer that I didn't need the info. Thanks for looking out for us TX :)
Obviously you can post whatever you like Todd. Which is why I didn't respond to you with any sort of instructions to do otherwise. I was simply thanking the man for providing some information to the board that I found interesting and informative. If someone thanking someone else somehow offends you and causes you to respond to said person, I can't help you.

Apr 28, 2019
You know what umps need to learn quickly, with new bats, they rattle. Most bats aren't hollow anymore.
So when you tap them on the ground or smack on your hand, or when they hit, many will make a rattle/clack/noise of
some sort. Its the inside barrel/discs/chambers/fib...yada yada. Too many umps hear anything and all of a sudden,
its omg, bats broken...I have to toss it...haha.
Also, if you don't feel fibers...it prob isn't a crack. Many bats get paint cracks and such. Just learn how composites
crack and look like. Horizontal it usually paint, vertical is what you look at more closely.

Composites are a weave, they don't just break apart and go flying. The weave has to break apart for the bat
to come apart.
Rattles is a problem. Only bats I’ve had that sounds like something is loose and moving around inside are 2015 Easton Stealth Speed, 2015 Slugger X-12, & 2016 Easton Mako. These were all considered damaged. Didn’t effect their performance at all just annoying and set aside at tournaments.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Rattles is a problem. Only bats I’ve had that sounds like something is loose and moving around inside are 2015 Easton Stealth Speed, 2015 Slugger X-12, & 2016 Easton Mako. These were all considered damaged. Didn’t effect their performance at all just annoying and set aside at tournaments.

Absolutely they are annoying.

More "rattles" aren't a problem at all, then are. Glue pieces happen all the time. I get the rule, it was written a while
ago and I guess the problem is how people interpret what "rattles" are. You may consider a rattle diff than I do. If you hear a disc or whatever moving around in there, definite issue. I don't argue, as the rule reads, bats are tossed.

Feel bad for the people that have nothing wrong with the bats, and they cant use them. Then they end up returning
them and wasting a return on a glue ball and then if something does break, they are up a creek.

Dec 11, 2010
Feel bad for the people that have nothing wrong with the bats, and they cant use them. Then they end up returning
them and wasting a return on a glue ball and then if something does break, they are up a creek.

I also think this is part of why bats cost so much.

Parents get nervous that they are going to travel half way across the country to have Mr. Diligent save the world and all of its children because they think a sand sized piece of glue or a paint crack will cause the bat to detonate,taking out the catcher, the corners and the team mascot.

They call the company, voice full of worry, and the company sends them another bat.

I have done this many times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802