Question about D1/D2 Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 11, 2019
How likely is it that a school has interest in a player but due to contact rules will send admissions emails before their junior year? I'm thinking of sending my DD to camps and trying to read between the lines for legitimate interest. Thanks for any insight.

Jun 11, 2012
Like generic college emails? DD got emails from tons of schools that had never ever seen her play. These were likely because of questionnaires she filled out at college fairs and school sponsored events. Coaches that had interest would send emails requesting she fill out the recruiting questionnaire and come to their camps but nothing to do with admissions.

Jan 11, 2019
Quite a few have been at tournaments we were playing in but I don't recall them being in the stands. Some are from schools that HS teammates are committed to. You know how coaches can be sight unseen at times but continue to make their lists. One school has sent a camp invite so that one explains itself I think.

Apr 28, 2014
Spring admission is now open. DD received a ton of emails, some of schools we've never heard of. I think it's just a list they use. Best advice I can give is to use CaptainU. It costs $20 a month but... you can see what schools open your emails and which schools look at what videos you have posted. We had 3 schools looking at DD's info. Went to those camps and were treated very well. Aside from the school sharing with your travel org that they are interested that's all ya have until you see them at your games.

Jan 31, 2015
My 2021 DD got an invitation via email to a DI school's prospect camp the August before she started her freshman year. We didn't do anything with it but she got another one the next August, and she went to it where she apparently got on their radar.

At the camp, my wife overheard a parent (whose older daughter had been through their program and whose younger daughter was there) say that they only send out 40 invitations every year before they open it up to the rest of the public, and they only send those initial invitations, if they've seen your DD play in at least 2 tournaments. Just hearsay, but we did find out that they saw DD play in at least 2 tournaments that year.

Afterwards, DD started her email marketing campaign with this DI coaching staff, and DD's TB HC called them until the recruiting AC finally returned his call. Obviously, he said he couldn't talk specifically about her, but talked *between the lines* and told him that they highly recommend prospects attend their winter camps. Next week, the recruiting AC showed up at DD's showcase tournament game and stood behind the backstop directly behind home plate the entire game as DD pitched a complete 7 inning shutout knocking in 2 RBI on a clutch hit to break open the 0-0 tie. DD's TB HC talked to DI AC after the game and he continued to talk *between the lines* indicating he liked what he saw.

Just some anecdotal evidence, but based upon our experience, I would highly recommend attending the prospect camps that your DD is interested in, and start her marketing campaign sending them her schedule et. al.

How likely is it that a school has interest in a player but due to contact rules will send admissions emails before their junior year? I'm thinking of sending my DD to camps and trying to read between the lines for legitimate interest. Thanks for any insight.

May 27, 2013
Has your dd taken the PSAT 8/9 or PSAT 10? Every day dd (2021) gets several admission emails from schools but how we know it’s due to taking the PSATs is because she used her school email when she registered for them, not her personal email, which she uses for SB.

I agree with the others - if she can make the camps of the schools she is interested in then go to those. Have her email those coaches and have her TB coach call them. They can’t say out right that they are interested but they do give hints such as “She should definitely come to our camp.”

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28