Possibly looking for a new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2018
Daughter started 12U over the fall and has been using a Mizuno Prospect 12" since beginning of last year when in 10U. Just recently she started to complain that it feels like she can't open the glove wide enough. She's had a fairly decent growth spurt over the winter and I'm wondering if she's outgrowing her glove. Also, I'm noticing her struggling a little bit with fielding ground balls, like the glove pocket is getting flimsy/floppy (if that makes sense), not getting that crisp pickup. After reading around I guess some gloves even though are 12-12.5" in size are youth built where the hand fits. Does it seem it's time to change out? How should we go about getting a new glove? I hate shopping thinking the most expensive one is the way to go, just want to get the right one. Thx.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What level is she playing - rec, travel, school? What is your budget?

There are LOTS of good gloves out there. Generally speaking, more expensive gets you a glove that will last longer, and stand up to a high volume of use on a frequent basis. Spending $200+ on a glove for a girl playing at a 12U casual rec league level is probably overkill. Spending $200 on a glove for a girl playing high-level 12U travel ball isn't unreasonable.

Also...Welcome to DFP! :)

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
If she's playing TB, and she doesn't just REALLY need a glove with a small hand stall (my DD is very small for her age), then you have a ton of good options. I'm sure ANNASDAD will be around here soon. Honestly, if she plays a ton of ball and she isn't super happy with her glove now (even if it's mental), it's worth upgrading just for her sake.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 14yo DD has been using a 12-1/2" All-Star Vela fielders glove for the last 2 years playing 12U-14U TB. It's holding up very well, but since she's primarily a catcher, it doesn't see full-time action.

Lots of fans of Vinci gloves around here (my DD's catcher's mitt is a Vinci). Their products are excellent. DFP'er drakemir can take care of your needs on finding the right model for your DD, and help with pricing.

Otherwise, lots of people like the Rawlings Liberty Advanced series and Wilson A2000.

EDIT: Also pay close attention to what ANNASDAD says. He knows gloves.

Oct 18, 2018
Excellent, thanks for the help here. That Mizuno looks like a good deal. Also saw the 2018 A2000 MA is 30% off too on their website. I'm guessing this means she is growing out of her current glove. lol

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
... did you just recommend a basket web to someone? Will wonders never cease? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I know, crazy, just trying to keep some of you on your toes!

That's a smoking deal, if I'm not mistaken, the Global Elites retailed for either $249 or $259 at one time. The GE's are also great gloves, probably a hair below the Pro-Select series that replaced them. But for $80........no brainer!! Everyone I've suggested to the GGE10 (black) and the GGE11 (tan) has loved them.

These GGE Global Elites are discontinued, the tans are pretty hard to find, eBay may have some? I was shocked to still see some of the black ones at Hock Sports, I actually Googled the black GGE10 and that brown one popped up, I clicked on it and saw the price, I was shocked, so even though it's a basket web OsDad, I HAD to share the link! ;)

And OP, welcome to the board sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478