Positions and playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
First of all I agree that our job is to develop girls. And we try hard to do that (which makes this hard). At 12u, I'm trying to keep them playing softball longer term, and give them the tools and understanding of the game (physical, mental, strategy) so they can have fun playing beyond this team.

Girl A is a great kid and we love having her. We do play her as much as we can at catcher, but I'm starting to worry that we are placing her playing time as a priority to Girl B getting reps. Yes, Girl B is better, and yes she works hard on her game, and yes she can play anywhere (super athlete), but I'm wondering if reducing her innings at catcher (50/50 or worse) is helping her get better too.

I literally spend 1 hour before games, and tournaments trying to figure out how to get Girl A in the game (and yes DP happens a lot). We do have 1 other girl that can catch and gets 1-2 innings per tournament. In all honesty, Girl C is as good as Girl A, she just prefers to play OF. It is April and we still have a lot of softball left to play and a lot to still work on, so there is always hope.

It sounds to me like you are doing things pretty well for your situation. If/when Girl A's playing time gets questioned, be honest about the reasons, and clear about what your expectations are for things to change. Then, it's up to Girl A to meet those expectations if she wants a different result.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As much as possible, players need to develop ability at multiple positions if they want to stay off the bench as they get older.

At 12U, DD was a bit of a one trick pony with some tween pudge and not very fast. Over time, we worked on it, and now she's some seven inches taller, but weighs the same. As an older teenager, we both laugh when she walks around wearing T-shirts she owned then. Although she's still not winning track meets, she's getting quick enough to hear "fast" and her name in the same sentence. In addition to her IF positions, she often plays OF for a pretty decent ball team, and Bigfoot is sighted more often than DD on the bench.

Your good catcher needs to play other positions because, at the older age groups, she WILL rotate at catcher. Your developing catcher needs work there, but also needs to take the longer view of working to get faster so she can play more than one position.

Jun 11, 2012
If either she or her parents ask I’d be truthful and explain that you’re looking for her to put in time outside of games and practices to better herself as a player whether it be as a catcher or another position and that you will give her innings but when it comes to elimination games the best 9 will be on the field. It’s up to her (and to some degree the parents) what she wants to do from there.
Some kids will work extra hard to prove they can be the best and others will accept what you said and become stagnant

Aug 16, 2015
There are 2 different types of teams:

1- team is going to play everyone, even if it affects the outcome of some games. These teams say they are Developmental teams

2- team wants to develop, but the outcome of the games matter too especially during bracket play.

If you see yourself as team 1, then you need to find this girl more time to play to live up to what your team goals are.

It sounds like you are team 2, in which case, playing time is earned. Just because the girl isn’t fast doesn’t mean she can’t play OF, but if she’s not putting in the time to get better and the other girls are, then the other girls deserve to play.

Look at it this way, if this girl starts getting more time, it’ll annoy the HARD WORKING GIRLS. That’s not right either. Coaches don’t always see that. Last thing you want is to have one of your better players leave because players who aren’t as good and/or aren’t putting in the work are getting as much time as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802