Player elgibility - ASA & USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Sorry in advance if this has been asked/answered before.

How is the age determined for a player's eligibility for this fall? Here is the situation:

Team: 14u
Player age: 15 (today)

Question: Is this player able to play fall ASA as a 15 y.o. in a 14u ASA or USSSA tournament?

I know that the eligibility age is January 1st, but I thought that if the player is over the age of 14 ON January 1st, they are ineligible to play 14u in the fall.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Whatever their age is on Jan 1st is their play age. So, a player can turn 17 on Jan 2nd and still play 16u.

This is for ASA.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
SoCal,

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if you understand what I am trying to say. A player who is 15 today is playing 14u tournaments this weekend. They will move up to 16u next spring.

My question is this: Are they eligible? I thought that after Nationals it marked the beginning of the next season. The date of January 1 is the golden date that determines eligibility for the next season, which is now, correct? If you are ineligible based on your birthday can you still play "fall ball" as a 15 y.o. in 14u this weekend?

Jan 24, 2011
SoCal,

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if you understand what I am trying to say. A player who is 15 today is playing 14u tournaments this weekend. They will move up to 16u next spring.

My question is this: Are they eligible? I thought that after Nationals it marked the beginning of the next season. The date of January 1 is the golden date that determines eligibility for the next season, which is now, correct? If you are ineligible based on your birthday can you still play "fall ball" as a 15 y.o. in 14u this weekend?

If it is ASA , then yes , the player is eligible. IF USSSA , technically , the player is not eligible. The 2013 season started on August 1. But , around here , the Aug. 1 date really isnt enforced for Fall

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most teams/players 'play up' in the Fall to the age group they will play in the following Spring, but there are some who stay down for whatever reason. Most teams that 'play down' in the Fall get a reputation as trophy hunters.

Jan 24, 2011
Most teams/players 'play up' in the Fall to the age group they will play in the following Spring, but there are some who stay down for whatever reason. Most teams that 'play down' in the Fall get a reputation as trophy hunters.

This part has always confused me. Why do others care what level a team is / is not playing ? If they are eligible to stay down (and they want to) , then so be it. I am sure they have reasons. Most teams dont care one bit about the trophy.