Pitch recognition apps?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2019
Here are two studies. The first (2006) is experimental design, with half the hitters on a team getting Pitch Recognition training using video-occlusion method. Team was Purdue baseball.

The second is more of a case study done with the Southeast Missouri State (SEMO) team. The study covers two years with Dillon Lawson (now Yankees hitting coordinator). It had combined video and batting cage/bullpen drills (the best way). Not experimental -- still was their part of SEMO hitting program 2014 and 15. Then again in 2016 with Matt Borschulte (now Twins AA hitting coach). Head coach was Steve Beiser, now Mizzou head coach.

The journal isn't sports, it's a psychology journal. Which shows interest beyond sports, such as military and law enforcement, to train "intuitive" expertise. The data you're interested in is tables near the end.

Sep 29, 2014
Pro Batter and Joyner Technologies (All-Star) have Video Pitching Machine Simulators. Mostly in softball facilities. Batting cage with Projection Screen in front of a programmable pitching machine. Image of a pitcher projected onto screen, and timed with windup so ball comes through a hole in the screen. But video doesn't change for the type of pitch.
Others can comment on effectiveness.
That's the reason I asked the facility my daughter and I used had one of these machine and I actually liked it. My thought was this would be taking that technology to the next level and would be really interesting to see in action.

May 3, 2019
That's the reason I asked the facility my daughter and I used had one of these machine and I actually liked it. My thought was this would be taking that technology to the next level and would be really interesting to see in action.
ProBatter is a true "simulator" -- but hard (and expensive) to set up in the basement! The gameSense app usually is interactive, where the user clicks or touches screen to guess pitch type and ball/strike. But people started using it like this college baseball team, so we made a mode for showing on big TV or projected on a screen or wall or sheet. Videos are 2-3 min. and play straight through -- first the cut-off pitch (hitter hits off tee or ghost swing), then the full replay of the same pitch to see shape of the pitch. Pretty retro technology -- not much different from the sheet I nailed to a rafter in our unfinished basement so daughter hit could hit balls off tee into sheet for hours at a time (circa 1999)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598