Perfect in practice but not in games. Any help would be great.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
This fall we worked with [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION] and learned a ton. Did a total revamp of her technique from HE TO IR and changed her windup etc. Huge undertaking but it was necessary and my DD was up to the task. Hard worker and loved Java.
Anyhow, at this point the season has started and now come all the problems.
I can get her completely dialed in during practice sessions as long as she is not throwing hard. As soon as she tries to amp it up all the old habits creep in.
Also, during games she just can’t keep her form together. As the innings go by the tech gets further from what we all know as proper.
It maybe just a mental thing , a practice thing or something else but I could use some advice to get her to understand that this
Technique, I-R is designed so she doesn’t have to throw hard but to use the whip. She is not big and strong which is mainly why I switched her to I-R.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 19, 2014
She's trying to overpower it in the game. She needs to continue to throw hard at practice with good form, no easy fix just continuous reps. Make sure she's throwing at 100 percent after she's warmed up at practice. Also tried to practice on an actual dirt mound instead of just a practice mat.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2017
Sounds like it could be fatigue. Even though the arm is whipping those little legs are working hard each and every pitch. Dont know how much shes throwing to get loose before a game or middle of innings but i definitely limit DD's. Also, in this florida heat umps like to let them throw a few extra while they take a break in the dugoit.if the innings are rolling quick we cut it at 3 then lets work on getting out of the inning.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It maybe just a mental thing , a practice thing or something else but I could use some advice to get her to understand that this

It is not an issue of her understanding. It is an issue of muscle memory. You have to keep practicing correctly until the old habits are overwritten by the new habits.

Oct 4, 2018
We try hard to have our little 10U pitchers only go one inning and then switch. We want them all to develop and perhaps we feel switching often keeps them fresh and keeps the other team on its toes.

But what I also like is that it does let us talk to them often and isolate that particular pitching conversation to just one inning. They remember it better and it gives us more time to think/reflect/correct between games. This way after a 3-4 inning game, we talk to Betty about her one inning. That's easier than saying "remember in inning 2 when you ...". She can better remember her one inning and a bad habit doesn't go 3 innings before we can properly address it. Trying to talk to pitchers as the team is at bat can get a little crazy.

I do think this is just a "normal" progression in your transformation. Learn the new stuff, practice it. Practice will get it right sooner than games will get it right. Keep fighting the good fight.

My dd has pretty good form 13 she keeps getting caught up in over thinking everything. So we have started mentally picking on batters. Trying to get her mind on something else. So if she gets a drop ball inside call instead of focusing on her mechanics we are focusing more on the spot maybe see how The batter reacts. Did batter pull her head. Did she bail. Then go high outside. How did batter react. So far as long as she “finishes her pitch” her control is still there. Now she has lost a couple mph and top 3-4 batters may get on. But she has learned to relax and not get as stressed I have seen a lot more smiling on the rubber because she is intentionally getting them to swing at a rise ball and learning what a setup pitch is for. I decided we can take a few lumps in the journey with hits as long as we are creating a great 18yr old pitcher.

Nov 8, 2018
My dd has pretty good form 13 she keeps getting caught up in over thinking everything. So we have started mentally picking on batters. Trying to get her mind on something else. So if she gets a drop ball inside call instead of focusing on her mechanics we are focusing more on the spot maybe see how The batter reacts. Did batter pull her head. Did she bail. Then go high outside. How did batter react. So far as long as she “finishes her pitch” her control is still there. Now she has lost a couple mph and top 3-4 batters may get on. But she has learned to relax and not get as stressed I have seen a lot more smiling on the rubber because she is intentionally getting them to swing at a rise ball and learning what a setup pitch is for. I decided we can take a few lumps in the journey with hits as long as we are creating a great 18yr old pitcher.

Thanks. My DD isn’t losing too much control, spin or pace in games but her form is all over the place. I know if she kept it tight, didn’t try so hard she would have way better control, spin and pace.

Mar 28, 2014
This fall we worked with [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION] and learned a ton. Did a total revamp of her technique from HE TO IR and changed her windup etc. Huge undertaking but it was necessary and my DD was up to the task. Hard worker and loved Java.
Anyhow, at this point the season has started and now come all the problems.
I can get her completely dialed in during practice sessions as long as she is not throwing hard. As soon as she tries to amp it up all the old habits creep in.
Also, during games she just can’t keep her form together. As the innings go by the tech gets further from what we all know as proper.
Technique, I-R is designed so she doesn’t have to throw hard but to use the whip. She is not big and strong which is mainly why I switched her to I-R.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Give it 1 year and about 42 shots of Crown per week. Then it will finally happen in the games. It is literally the most frustrating thing I have dealt with in my 54 years on this planet. To see the abrupt change in mechanics from practice to games is beyond belief. Heck she looks great on the side right before games but as soon as she entered the circle, Push down and Pull up. But it happens. Trust me. For a long time. Don;t feel alone. Just keep practicing and drinking.

Nov 8, 2018
Give it 1 year and about 42 shots of Crown per week. Then it will finally happen in the games. It is literally the most frustrating thing I have dealt with in my 54 years on this planet. To see the abrupt change in mechanics from practice to games is beyond belief. Heck she looks great on the side right before games but as soon as she entered the circle, Push down and Pull up. But it happens. Trust me. For a long time. Don;t feel alone. Just keep practicing and drinking.

Thanks. I could use a drink.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101