One glove or two...?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Share some thoughts, please.

It's time for a new glove for DD, and we've been discussing some options. She's used a Nokona for over 3 years now which has performed wonderfully (though it seems a bit heavy for infield play) and probably has another 4-6 months in it. She is almost 15 now, and could continue using a single more standard 12-inch model like the one she has enjoyed. But I'm also wondering if she would benefit from having two gloves instead, along the lines described below.

She is versatile in the field. Primarily she pitches, but spends a fair amount of time in the middle infield; occasionally she will play outfield, Her high school coach has recently started working her at first and she's played one game there so far. He also put her at third for part of a game when our starter was injured last week. I'm thinking she might benefit from a shorter infield glove, and maybe a 13-incher to use in the outfield and at 1st. I don't think she's going to get a lot of time at first, so a 1st base mitt is probably overkill.

As for the shorter gloves, I feel like the Shoeless Jane or the Wilson A2000 might be good choices. For the longer glove, the Akadema or the Shoeless Jane stand out for me. If she stays with a single 12" she's leaning toward the Akadema. I good with that. The Vinci is also in consideration, but not likely for the two glove scenario. Even for DD the wallet has limits.

I'm also curious about this: I've picked up a few comments here and there about the short infielder glove not being preferred for the pitcher position. Is this a common understanding? Can anybody shed light on that?

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
If you are in the market for a Shoeless Jane, I have a 12 inch that was DD's back up that we are looking to sell. I just got it back from them. Sent it in for their re conditioning, and re tanning process. it feels and smells like the day we bought it. PM me if interested.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
14U DD who started in CF and transitioned to almost full time SS uses a 12.75" Vinci RV-1961-L.
When I asked her if she wanted a shorter glove for SS she said she liked the extra reach the 12.75" gives her.
She also has fast ball transfer so the extra size doesn't slow her down.
This glove I've been told plays more like a 12.5", and might be a good single glove solution if you went that way.

DD also plays C, so she lug around two gloves already and the wallet is empty...

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
Best bet is to talk to Casedawg51 about the BV1929-L.
He is one that recommended that I didn't need to spend more money on smaller glove for DD when she moved to SS.
Bought 2 gloves from him and almost a third...

For pitching, you want a 12" infielder's glove with a closed web.

For SS and 2B, I prefer girls to have an 11 3/4" glove with an open web. The absolute maximum I would allow in my middle infield would be a 12" glove but the open-web part is non-negotiable.

For outfield, 12 1/2" through 12 3/4" is fine, too. Most prefer an open web that is made of stitching rather than pieces of leather because it will end up being a bit more "floppy" than a solid web. I suppose this glove could work at 1B if we're talking about limited action.

All of the girls on my team have a minimum of two game gloves. Some have three.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
That lists as a baseball model. DD has an average to maybe just below average hand. Do you think she might need to stick with an FP model?

They need to update the website and add it to the fastpitch list or come out with a new model number for a fastpitch version. I would guess my DD's hands are average for a female.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802