Obstruction, Interference or neither

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2019
Dropped third strike off catcher's foot and knocked between batter's feet as she starts for first.. As catcher attempts to retrieve ball from between batters feet and they collide. Runner was safe as play continued and defense wanted interference. No call was made for obstruction or interference. What is correct?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dropped third strike off catcher's foot and knocked between batter's feet as she starts for first.. As catcher attempts to retrieve ball from between batters feet and they collide. Runner was safe as play continued and defense wanted interference. No call was made for obstruction or interference. What is correct?

It's not a play on a batted ball, so the runner has priority. If it's anything, it's obstruction.

All that said, if the catcher had stayed calm and waited for the runner to get out of the box, she would have had plenty of time to make the play unhindered.

Jun 22, 2008
It's not a play on a batted ball, so the runner has priority. If it's anything, it's obstruction.

All that said, if the catcher had stayed calm and waited for the runner to get out of the box, she would have had plenty of time to make the play unhindered.

Not true, if the batter/runner interferes in any way with a D3K it is interference and they are out.

Sep 19, 2018
I bet I am probably missing something but here is what I'd think is relevant.

6.09 B batter becomes a runner on a Dropped 3rd.

Safe
7.06 A - Obstruction before reaching first base.

Out
7.08 B - runner is out if adjudged to have hindered the fielder (intentional or not)

As I read this, with the word 'adjudged' in there, it seems to me that the Ump has some discretion on which actually happened. No?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I bet I am probably missing something but here is what I'd think is relevant.

6.09 B batter becomes a runner on a Dropped 3rd.

Safe
7.06 A - Obstruction before reaching first base.

Out
7.08 B - runner is out if adjudged to have hindered the fielder (intentional or not)

As I read this, with the word 'adjudged' in there, it seems to me that the Ump has some discretion on which actually happened. No?

What rule set are you citing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802