No stride swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Not striding has been a night-and-day improvement for my kid but it's not because of athleticism issues, but rather timing ones. I just can't figure out a way to get her timing fixed so we ditched the stride completely. I don't anticipate it being something she does forever but until I can figure out how to get it fixed, we will roll with it. It isn't pitching speed either- she's striding at the wrong PART of the pitch, no matter the speed. She's late on everything. It isn't just deciding too late to swing against fast pitchers. It's bizarre (and REALLY frustrating).
Why? What needs to be fixed if your DD is a good no stride hitter? People actually prefer stride because it helps with timing, your DD is experiencing the opposite. If she is getting proper sequence and weight transfer, why does a stride need to be implemented?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Why? What needs to be fixed if your DD is a good no stride hitter? People actually prefer stride because it helps with timing, your DD is experiencing the opposite. If she is getting proper sequence and weight transfer, why does a stride need to be implemented?

I don't necessarily think she NEEDS to, but she WANTS to, even though she hits better without it right now. Maybe someone else has this figured out but I haven't had a ton of luck fighting a stubborn almost-11 year old for real long, and supposedly it only gets worse.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
On a more serious note, I don't think she's even really getting as much out of her weight transfer as she should be. She has a lot of issues but I'm largely just asking her to be athletic right now and hunt her pitch, because for all the technical stuff she seems to "get" with pitching and fielding, when it comes to hitting she is lost when anyone gets into mechanics with her. The only actionable cue I'm really giving her is to keep her front leg from striding out.

May 9, 2019
Having a stride doesn't guarantee proper weight transfer, just as not having a stride does not guarantee no weight transfer.

My DD had a stride but couldn't transfer her weight properly. She went no stride and is crushing it farther than ever. We will stick to no stride.. for now.

Jun 8, 2016
My 4 year old son changes between regular stride, no stride and leg kick every 3 pitches some days...I think my kids get bored swinging the same way every time..either that or they want to see how much their old man can take before he turns purple and passes out.

May 12, 2016
I don't necessarily think she NEEDS to, but she WANTS to, even though she hits better without it right now. Maybe someone else has this figured out but I haven't had a ton of luck fighting a stubborn almost-11 year old for real long, and supposedly it only gets worse.

Gotcha...

Mine has actually got better since she was 11 ... however when I give her too much she let's me know, either verbally or by pure frustration. She's also more confident now and has gained knowledge through experience over the years, sometimes she has questions for me when I ask her to do something, I don't always have answers and that frustrates me...LOL

Dec 15, 2015
We went to a wider stance and her que is to pick her stride foot up and put it back down in the same place. She still has a minimal stride, but we were fighting lunging (eyes dropping) and this has helped.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD went to a no stride hitting coach at 10. On day one he put her in a 55mph cage and she hit the ball consistently hard. The next two years she hit line drives on a regular basis and crushed inside pitches. We switched to a big ball coach in 7th grade and stayed with him till college. To this day I think the no stride coach was one of the best influences on her hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee