No Power In DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
young kids always seem to roll wrists into contact,
and result is weak grounders.

Are you saying she can't get it out of the IF becasue all hits are on the ground?
or is she actually barreling up line drives, but with just weak results?

May 9, 2019
young kids always seem to roll wrists into contact,
and result is weak grounders.

Are you saying she can't get it out of the IF becasue all hits are on the ground?
or is she actually barreling up line drives, but with just weak results?

It's a mixed bag.. but yes mostly hitting the ground. If she has line drives, usually it's still falling within the infield. Now I will say she has hit a couple of line drives into the outfield, so there definitely is the ability to do it, it just doesn't happen as often as I would expect. The force of her swing is pretty strong honestly. For example, we use the Skilz F5 batting trainer, and even with all four bands attached, she get almost get it to full revolution. That isn't too bad imo.

Dec 5, 2017
A 29 inch Louisville Slugger composite. It's very light. Also has an Axe bat which she rarely uses.. 28 inches and just as light.

My dd has about the same stats as yours- 9yo, 4'5 and 54lbs-skinny as a rail. She sometimes drives the ball to the outfield and sometimes hits weak pop ups, I would say your dd's issues are related to her swing and/or a not so hot bat. Point being I wouldn't focus on her strength too much, good mechanics and a hot bat definitely are bigger issues imho. Wouldn't focus on the bat first either, post some video on here and you will get plenty of good advice on what needs work.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Rarely is it the bat that's hot or not of concern. At this age I would focus on her mechanics first. As everyone else posted, without video we're all guessing. Take some slo-mo video and post it here.

As far as weight training goes, I wouldn't have her start lifting weights as this age. However, simple home-based exercises that focus on legs(squats), core(planks), upper body(pushups) wouldn't hurt. You don't want her to do too much too soon. Let her get used to doing this and then add more to it later on.

May 9, 2019
Here is a video from yesterdays BP off the tee. I have a live pitch on processing right now.

To me it seems like she is pulling her body back too early reducing the weight transfer.. Not sure why the ball doesnt travel higher and farther.. Im working on her to work the left elbow up a bit.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In my amateur opinion, looks like she's already pretty fully extended at contact. Might be where the tee is placed. I think it's a good swing overall, but if she hits that ball in the frame before (letting the ball get to the plate) probably gets more behind it.

May 9, 2019
In my amateur opinion, looks like she's already pretty fully extended at contact. Might be where the tee is placed. I think it's a good swing overall, but if she hits that ball in the frame before (letting the ball get to the plate) probably gets more behind it.

I think you're on to something with that. I keep telling her to keep her hands connected at all times until after contact is made.. Thank you for your input!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Tee to far out front. Move tee to where the front foot is.
Bat wrap.
Arm barring.
Downward barrel path.
Front side/leg 'in charge'.
To wide of stance.(style)
To long of a stride.(style)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802