Nice picture at ball impact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2016
One of the moms from dd's high school team caught this picture right at impact with the ball. I am curious what the experts opinions are on dd's form.
a84abb7ad538a470c811d706b23a5bf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) Her front bicep disconnected slightly from her torso (pushed forward likely during the 2nd half of hip turn when the front knee straightens), which made the hands push slightly forward, which prevented the bat head from going past the hands before contact. (Note that some MLB hitters are able to turn with their front bicep slightly away from the start, without pushing the hands. Bonds and a couple others could only do it with an elbow brace. Most kids have the bicep tight, then push at the last minute, which causes this problem)

When the hands push forward, this slows bat speed, and keeps the bat head lower longer (popups/foul tips).

2) Most hitters have their eyes in the general direction of the ball

3) I like how her back elbow is close to the torso at contact

Great photo.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
1) Her front bicep disconnected from her torso (pushed forward likely during the 2nd half of hip turn when the front knee straightens), which made the hands push slightly forward, which prevented the bat head from going past the hands before contact.

When the hands push forward, this slows bat speed, and keeps the bat head lower longer (popups/foul tips).

2) Most hitters have their eyes in the general direction of the ball

3) I like how her back elbow is close to the torso at contact

Great photo.

Do you have a photo of someone you consider doing it correctly? I guess i am picturing an arm bar with what you describe. Thanks in advance.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

You want the bat head to be just ahead of the hands at contact. The bat speeds up at this point.

You also want to keep the upper arms as close to the torso as you can since that also speeds up the rotation and the bat. Think of a skater as they slow or speed up, this is the Conservation of Angular Momentum.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
View attachment 14174

You want the bat head to be just ahead of the hands at contact. The bat speeds up at this point.

"Ahead" compared to what? Different camera angles can change your perception of whether the barrel is ahead or behind the hands. I prefer to reference the bat getting in line with the lead forearm as a check-point at contact.

Mar 8, 2016
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to see the input from everyone before I biased them with the results of the AB. It was an outside pitch that DD hit for a line drive off the wall just to the left of CF. I know I am biased but she hit it very hard. She has a reputation as a power hitter and is always pitched outside. She has worked hard to do a better job of squaring up this pitch. It is still a work in progress but she is doing better.

BLB

May 19, 2008
1) Her front bicep disconnected slightly from her torso (pushed forward likely during the 2nd half of hip turn when the front knee straightens),
Do you believe the front bicep should be close to the torso regardless of pitch location? How is the hitter going to pull her hands in to hit the inside pitch without bending that front elbow and separating the bicep from the torso?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28