New Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2019
Oklahoma City
I'm the AC for my DD's 8U Coach Pitch team. We've only been in Coach Pitch since last fall and we're in a couple of pitching machine tournaments this season. DD has been playing catcher so far in all of our Coach Pitch games and tournaments and she does fine but she is terrified of the pitching machine. Any tips on how to help her get over that fear? The other girl we have at catcher does okay with the machine but is really lacking on situational awareness where my DD excels.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
You might try the flinch drill to reassure her about the equipment.
Or,
Start hurling tennis balls at her.
My DD loved to try to catch tennis balls coming in hot.

May 6, 2015
maybe stress to her the predictability of the balls from the machine vs coach pitch. should come in pretty much the same each time.

Apr 26, 2015
You might try the flinch drill to reassure her about the equipment.
Or,
Start hurling tennis balls at her.
My DD loved to try to catch tennis balls coming in hot.

Yep - when DD started catching we could go in the back yard and I would chuck tennis balls at her face (while she was wearing all her gear). We worked and worked until she didn't flinch or turn her head when they came in. She still asks to do this from time to time...

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
maybe stress to her the predictability of the balls from the machine vs coach pitch. should come in pretty much the same each time.

Probably a good approach.

Unfortunately, logic doesn't work well with my DD. She responds to some kind of weird "catcher logic." I haven't cracked the complete code. It somehow involves her thinking that bruises are cool, and bruises with stitch marks are way cool.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
It has been a very long time since I have had a catcher that age. But for catching in general, with both of my catchers, the day they got a decent set of gear and realized it could be trusted, their mentality completely changed. There is a drill we did with our catchers where they are in the "blocked position" (on knees, toes pointed out, butt as low as possible) with the glove out. I bounced balls (tennis balls when they were just getting started) into their chest protector. As the ball comes in, the mitt rotates down to cover the 5 hole and the throwing hand is protected behind the mitt. Again, some of this is more advanced than an 8U needs, but the premise behind it will train them that catchers are expected to stop the ball. And when done properly, it doesn't hurt. It isn't "normal"...you have to re-teach them the new normal.

Jul 21, 2017

Unfortunately, logic doesn't work well with my DD. She responds to some kind of weird "catcher logic." I haven't cracked the complete code. It somehow involves her thinking that bruises are cool, and bruises with stitch marks are way cool.

That’s funny! Mine is always bummed when a hard hit doesn’t make an awesome bruise. She wears her bruises like badges. I agree, just get some reps from the machine in. Have her start far back and move in closer. She will get comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Yep. This week, my kid proudly showed off the stitches marks on her arm from a HBP. This is the mentality of a catcher.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449