Needing more accuracy.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
I understand that "throw hard accuracy will come".....is there anything that helps to speed that along? (Apart from good mechanics?) We throw and throw but I don't feel as though I am seeing improvement. Or, maybe I just expect to see it to quickly?

Feb 13, 2018
What age group and how long has she been taking lessons?

She just turned 10. Started actively throwing 1 year ago in rec ball. Took lessons from August through October, getting ready to start back up. Admittedly. We haven't practiced as much as I would like, but I do feel like we have practiced enough for her to be able to throw more than 1 strike out of 20......just wondering if anyone had any advice.

Sep 3, 2015
Accuracy comes from having a reference point to release the ball, or else it will be very difficult to consistently throw strikes.

The brush contact with the hip provides that reference point. Find the best pitching coach that you can who teaches IR and you will get there.

Sounds like you guys are already putting in the work. We didn't find that pitching coach until DD was 12, now she's 14 and this past season (freshman varsity HS) she walked only 15 out of 300 batters with 120 strikeouts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
good mechanics and lots of quality reps. I set up a 5' foam ball on top of a tee and that's her target. 10U pitches at 35' so set it up 10 or 15' away for a bucket, back another 10' or 15' for a bucket and then have her pitch to "batters." finish with some long toss and an ice cream.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have a drill I call target practice. I move the glove around to locations in the strike zone and as much as a foot outside it. When they hit the glove, or I barely have to move it, I will 'freeze' it there for a positive memory. I got the idea after reading this study.

Apr 28, 2019
I understand that "throw hard accuracy will come".....is there anything that helps to speed that along? (Apart from good mechanics?) We throw and throw but I don't feel as though I am seeing improvement. Or, maybe I just expect to see it to quickly?
You need to be patient. Softball pitching is hard!!! Improvements will come with time, effort & good instruction.
You need to throw every other day if you want to be a special player and see improvement.
I’m not a big proponent of throwing a certain amount of pitches. I think it should be done more on feel/results. I would rather have you throw 50 quality pitches with full effort rather than 200 just going through the motions.
I recommend you always follow the same warm-up routine and go through your progressions until your ready to go full distance.
I have my daughters do about six warm-up drills and then we go full distance. At full distance we go through all their pitches, hit spots, and then we throw a simulated inning. We finish-up with a power drill that focuses on leg strength and speed.

Sep 19, 2018
Have you read the IR in the classroom thread? A Sticky at the top. If not, get a cup of Coffee and go to town. The Yuotube below outlines the drills.

Is your coach teaching this? If not find another coach. Also, are you exagerrating when you say 1 out of 20 are strikes? How far off are they?

Jun 7, 2016
I hate the "throw hard..." snippet. It is usually a parents excuse for a player that has never learned to throw underhand properly. Further the complexities of pitching cant be distilled to aphorisms.
Immerse yourself here and, learn and do, repeat endlessly. Mostly as a parent you need patience for your DD to develop (it is an arduous process) and steel yourself against coaches who want results now.
As for accuracy, there was a cool video clip they played last nite of the Fouts girl throwing to her catcher who was behind a stack of cinder blocks and those plastic hitter statues in each box. Her goal was to thread the needle in and out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802