Needing Advice on Moving Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, I think the message (and we've started dropping this thought to the parents and will soon to the girls) is simply that teams will change, people will come and go, coaches will come and go. Keeping the same team 100% from year to year is nearly impossible. Even the OP here probably will have some changes, and it's good for everyone to know it will happen.

Jul 14, 2018
Keeping the same team 100% from year to year is nearly impossible.

DD is in year five of playing TB, and we've never had the same 12 girls from one year to the next. In fact, I'm pretty sure she's never gone through a full season without the roster changing at some point.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I coach a 10u team that moved from Rec last spring to Travel last fall. I have 5 players who are 08, which means they will move up to 12u this fall. The mojority of my remaining girls are 09s. My intention is to move a couple of my 09s up to 12u with the 08s so that I can keep the bulk of my girls together. I'm struggling with how best to handle the players who will not be invited to move up. One in particular, really has me conflicted. Her parents are the most supportive that I have, they are first to arrive, last to leave at every practice or game, they never complain about PT and are willing to help in any way possible. But the girl is far below the others talent-wise. She's more on par with a 1st year 8u player. Often times she "gets lost" in the field and can't remember what she is supposed to do. BUT, she is always positive, always happy and is just excited to be a part of the team. It is totally my fault. I took her on because I needed a body at the time. Any advice?

A conversation with the parents saying pretty much what you wrote, but I'd leave out the part about taking her on because you needed a body. Kids and parents like this deserve the "extra mile" of effort from the coach. Explain your dilemma while being very complementary of them and their kid. Offer to help her find a team at her age and ability level and, if necessary, offer to keep her on as a practice player at no charge until she improves to the point where she can contribute. Whatever you do, don't just cast them loose.

Whatever level she plays at, maybe consider focusing on one position to give her a chance to get comfortable with its responsibilities, rather than moving her around to different positions. That could help with her getting 'lost'.

Jul 14, 2017
You are fairly new into the travel world, so I’m assuming you are playing a B/C schedule.

We were on a mixed yr team once where several girls were moving up to 14u and others were still 12u.

The coach did not want to hurt any feelings so was very quiet and kept “secret” what 12’s were also moving up. Of course nothing is ever kept secret and there were hurt feelings.

My advice... hold a team meeting letting everyone know that the team is moving up in age and expectations/level of play will be more challenging. You’d like to keep as much of the team intact as possible. See what younger players are interested in moving up and hold a tryout.

Sometimes parents know their kid won’t make the cut but want to make that decision for themselves- not have it forced on them. There comes a time in MS/HS where the age difference doesn’t matter as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802