Name and Number on Lineup Card

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
On two different occasions this year I have had umpires make me correct my lineup card. Both times I only used the players first initial for her first name. The first time I asked the umpire if he was being serious. He said in USSSA we take the rules very seriously. I laughed and added the player's entire first names. The 2nd time was an ASA tournament.

May 29, 2015
On two different occasions this year I have had umpires make me correct my lineup card. Both times I only used the players first initial for her first name. The first time I asked the umpire if he was being serious. He said in USSSA we take the rules very seriously. I laughed and added the player's entire first names. The 2nd time was an ASA tournament.

Was it me? :oops:

I do this all the time. I don’t understand what is so difficult. If you want to be real fancy, pre-print your card with your complete roster info listed at the bottom.

Feb 3, 2011
This past weekend at a tournament that was following ASA/USA rules we had a situation where the opposite team's coach forgot to put a girl's number on the lineup card that he gave both us and the umpire. This was in the championship game. At the meeting at the plate the umpire looked over our lineup cards, handed them back and asked us to look them over and tell him if they are good and then give them back as official. We both gave them back and he accepted them. Once back at the dugout we realized that one of his batters had her name on it but no number, and they had no names on their jerseys. We did not call attention to it, until that girl smashed a double in the third inning. We called time and brought it to the umpire. He looked it over and conferenced with the field umpires. The tournament director was sitting in a cart outside the fence, so the umpire walked over and asked the tournament director for a ruling. The tournament director said as long as their is a name on the card the player is not penalized..... We argued but to no avail.

Filed under "Things I'll Someday Wish I'd Never Posted on DFP"

Welcome to the club. I probably have 800 such posts.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The number is not mentioned in the rules about batting out of order. So, numbers are not a factor in determining whether a batter is out of order.

USSSA, Rule 7, Sec 2: Each player of the team at bat shallbecome the batter and shall take their position within the batter’s box (on either side of home base), in the order in which their name appears on the lineup card as delivered to the Umpire and the opposing team prior to the game.

NSA, Rule 7, Sec. 2: Each player of the side at bat shall become a batter in the order in which his name appears on the score sheet.

Little League, 6.01: Each player of the offensive team shall bat in the order that their name appears in the team’s batting order.

May 29, 2015
^ Yes, name takes priority over number.

Which makes no sense to me ... I have no idea who the heck these kids are!

Then again, the first year I coached I relied on numbers. I had three sets of sisters — two sets were twins. I had 2 girls named Kylie, a Kayla, a Kaylie, and three Kaitlyns. Two McKenzies and two Briannas. The happiest day of my coaching career was when uniforms (with numbers!) were issued.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28