Name and Number on Lineup Card

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2019
LOL, I wasn't really replying to you, your message posted as I was posting a reply. No we absolutely used it as an advantage to us, and I am not really going to defend it. If I had a dime for everything a coach complains about that isn't a rule I could pay for a new Ghost. Same tournament a coach complained about our pitchers glove being 2 toned after she struck out his first batter, no biggie, he didn't know the rule. An ump told me that the game before us a team came to bat, in the 6th inning, using the same girl in the lineup that had been the first batter in the previous inning, coincidentally the leadoff batter in his lineup.
I know the coach of the team that forgot the number, he is a good coach, a paid coach, a good dude. I know he didn't do it purposely. My question was what is the rule? I don't know, but it seems to me that name is useless. Most players on other teams, I do not know their names, and many don't have the name of the girl. I do know that they had numbers on their jerseys. If Sally Johnson is on the lineup card and no number, I don't know which of the players on his bench is Sally Johnson. I may not remember which girl is Sally Johnson but I will remember the number on the back of her Jersey

When I coach, I have whoever is keeping the book write the numbers down as the girls come to the plate if the numbers are not listed. As an umpire, I ask the coach to fix that before he confirms it to me. That's about the best you can do

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The rule is number, first initial, last name, position
6 B. Smith 1

The penalty for no number or wrong number is nothing but a warning as long as the name is correct. If it happens a second time the coach gets restricted to the bench.

So they got it right. As the umpire you confirm the players name to your satisfaction, everyone writes the right number in and the game continues. The right batter batted so there was no batting out of order.

And yes, this is how it should appear on the lineup card - #, First Initial, Lastname, Position

Sep 29, 2014
As I stated in my post the question becomes what is the penalty. Just quick search revealed anything from no penalty, wraning to restricting the coach to the dugout but nowhere have I found any actual assessment of an in game penalty as long as batting order and substitutions were performed correctly

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As I stated in my post the question becomes what is the penalty. Just quick search revealed anything from no penalty to restricting the coach to the dugout but nowhere have I found any actual assessment of an in game penalty as long as batting order and substitutions were performed correctly

Yes, see my post above. There is no out for wrong/no number on the lineup card. Warning 1st offense, Bench Restriction 2nd offense. 3rd is ejection... I have never had to go beyond the warning in any game.

Jul 4, 2018
The rule is number, first initial, last name, position
6 B. Smith 1
Thank you, that is what I figured, and is how we write ours. Our head coach was a D-1 coach and knows the rules as good as any coach I have seen. Now that you have answered my question, what is the penalty? I thought it was an out every time that player comes to bat after the umpire is notified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45