My (12u southpaw) DD asked me....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2019
Last night during Bp my lil baby girl asked... on an outside pitch do I let the ball travel more or do I still want to make contact out front ahead of the plate? Stymied... I said any contact is better than none.. but it got me thinking.. so I'll ask the forum same ? Outside FASTBALL where do we wanna make contact on that ball. OUT FRONT, OR LET IT TRAVEL?

Apr 28, 2019
Last night during Bp my lil baby girl asked... on an outside pitch do I let the ball travel more or do I still want to make contact out front ahead of the plate? Stymied... I said any contact is better than none.. but it got me thinking.. so I'll ask the forum same ? Outside FASTBALL where do we wanna make contact on that ball. OUT FRONT, OR LET IT TRAVEL?
Outside pitch you make contact later that’s why it should go to right field if timed correctly. For RH batter.

Sep 29, 2014
As always it depends...trying to get out in front and turn on an outside pitch is not usually a good idea...thats why you hear "go with the pitch" which means since its outside right field for right handed makes sense.

Apr 16, 2013
You let it travel. If you try to hit it out front you won't be hitting it on the sweet spot, instead the end of the bat, and sending an easy ground out to SS. (For a right handed batter.) Now this is "in general", I know there are examples of girls pulling a HR on an outside pitch. "In general" though, you let it travel and rip it opposing.

Aug 20, 2017
Maintain good posture (chest over) and allow the bat to follow the direction of the ball. It’s hard to think let it get deeper. It will get deeper if you allow the bat to continue behind the ball toward right field (for a righty)

Oct 4, 2018
You let it travel. If you try to hit it out front you won't be hitting it on the sweet spot, instead the end of the bat, and sending an easy ground out to SS. (For a right handed batter.) Now this is "in general", I know there are examples of girls pulling a HR on an outside pitch. "In general" though, you let it travel and rip it opposing.

With my better pitchers, I pretty much live (call pitches) on the outside corner. At 10U, so many girls try to pull it. We get a ton of weak grounders to the pitcher on the outside fastball. I love watching it all come together and result in easy outs.

Because yeah, you wanna let that pitch travel a tad more and pound it to the opposite field gap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802