Most Games In A Single Day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
DD played in a tournament this past weekend as a pickup player for our '08 team (she is '09). Saturday bracket games were canceled due to rain/lightening. Tournament shortened the games to 65 minutes and squeezed the entire tournament into Sunday. Unfortunately we lost our first game in a tie breaker and had to fight our way thru the losers bracket. So proud of the girls as they fought thru the next 5 loser bracket games to the championship game (7th game of the day for us). The 5th game was another tie breaker was a nail bitter that went into triple inning tie breaker (6 innings total!) doubling the length of that game. Unfortunately we lost 1-0 in the championship game. Opposing team had played 3 games before the championship so they were way more rested. Learned a valuable lesson on not losing early in the tournament. Our girls were exhausted by the end. Final game didn't end until 9:45pm or so. Girls had been up since 5:45 am as we had an 1.5 drive. So door to door girls were up from 5:45am to 11:45pm on a Sunday night! Not very conducive for school the next day for a 9 year old!

What shocked me was some of the teams we faced were going thru the tournament with just one pitcher. Some of these girls had to pitch 4 or 5 complete games in just one day. Is that irresponsible on the coaches part? We had two primary pitchers that were alternating. 2 games in a row each to start and then alternating every other game after that. If needed we had two back up pitchers that we could use in a pinch.

What is the most games your team has played in a single day? How many pitchers did you use?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I think seven is the most we've done and it would be for a one-day tournament. Mostly back to back with maybe a one-game break somewhere in there. We have four pitchers but one is most likely out the remainder of the season due to injury. You need three pitchers to get through that many games in one day. And two catchers (or one primary and one to back up and give her a break).

Aug 29, 2018
That’s completely insane. In 10u, games are timed. If the game is tied, at 65;min the inning is finished and if the game remains tied, that’s it. Tied games are rated different then a win or loss.

Feb 3, 2016
6 back to back. 10 minutes max between each 71 minute game. Switching dugouts every game. Getting 2 dugouts without a cover or shade that day with 98 degree heat & 90% humidity. Ready the next day at 8am for bracket play. Sure others can relate. I'm sure more days like this are ahead for us. READY FOR SURE!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2016
That’s completely nuts. How old are these girls playing 6 games each with 10 min between?
Count the hour warm up that was 8 hours of Softball 50 minutes of rest and not counting the drive from hotel to the facility that was over 10 hour day for pool play in one day. Not one time during that day was the groundskeeper found to rechalk the batter's box or foul lines. Out of state teams not aligned with a big club get the love for sure. This was 2 years ago. Going back for more this year. I expect the same treatment this year. Outlast and overcome the adversity.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
10U here and we do one-day tourneys. Max was 6 games ending at midnight and our girls (and us) were zombies by the end of it.

I don't like losing, but getting home before the sun goes down is nice.

Apr 30, 2018
We played 2 games back to back starting at 9:20am, a 1 hour break, then 5 more back to back. With two of our games going into tie breakers and some other games going into tie breakers the final championship game didn't end until 9:45pm. 7 games over 12+ hrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2