Model Fielding ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Field ball on outside of left foot - drive step with right foot - hop on right foot and throw would be my preference....
Pretty much agree. I played centerfield through HS. As a lefty I would field that ball on the outside of my right foot and go immediately into my crow-hop. It's all one motion.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. RF forward, the ball is fielded outside of left foot, but then the left foot steps forward to initiate the crow-hop. You can't START a crow hop bent fielding the ball with your left leg/foot forward. You would add an extra step.

MTS, the language in yours confuses me, but since you have fielding the ball next to the left foot, I think we are saying the same thing. However, I should have put "field next to left foot", which is back, and right foot forward. I wasn't thorough in my speech. It was a common problem the last 24 hours.

R

RayR

Steve - Yes I screwed that one up - I am left handed so I mixed up my feet trying to translate for the RH thrower.

Doing it yesterday with some players I taught it 2 ways....

FOR RH/LH THROWER

Field ball on outside of glove side foot with glove foot forward.....drive step with throwing side foot turning instep towards target landing with throwing side foot perpendicular to target and throw....

Field ball on outside of glove side foot with throwing side foot forward.....short hop on throwing side foot turning foot perpendicular to target and throw....

The way I used to throw from CF was to field ball outside glove side foot with glove side foot forward and drive throwing side knee "up" to launch into a crow hop....I have found it quicker to get rid of the ball with more momentum for the players to not crow hop and drive step instead when fielding the ball with the glove side foot forward.....

Will try and get some video up....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RF Catch:

2eatpgk.gif

2rgjk28.gif

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2012
CF Throw:

fvii5t.gif

p.s.

Note the mechanics used to square the rear foot ...

o00w7k.gif

BLB gave me the "heads up" about this clip. I cannot wait to use it for my team. We teach both the crow hop and the pro step, but I prefer the pro step because it's faster. I've run times on my CF before (and I know each kid is different, so of cource I let the kid decide which one is the most comfortable), and even though she has an amazing "crow hop" her "pro step" delivery/release of the ball was faster.

I'm going to collect some data on this throughout 2012-2013. As soon as I get the first phase of data collected, I will post the results (I'll include videos of my kids performing both too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478