Mississippi will be the first state to require the four most dangerous positions (including catcher) to wear face masks in High School.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2019
New Richmond, Wi
As long as it's their choice and your choice, that's beyond acceptable. Encouraged is wonderful even. Anything that is REQUIRED for girls but not boys = sexist.
Why is it that boys aren’t allowed to play girls Fastpitch but ok for girls to play baseball? There’s a distinct size, strength, speed, and reaction time difference between the make up of boys and girls.....there’s nothing sexist about what you’re arguing. I respect your opinion, but to say it sexist is a reach

Apr 16, 2013
Actually, boys are allowed to play fastpitch with the girls. My DD played against a team that had one last year.

12u LL baseball is the exact same field size.

Everyone of us knows how boys and girls are treated differently. My DD does not want to wear a face mask while at bat. She is required to. Baseball isn't the same sport; but we all know, minus pitching, it's 95% the same. Coming from both, I and my DD can easily tell how differently girls are treated and flat out babied and coddled.

I'm perfectly fine with requiring safety equipment, I just want to see the boys get the same requirements. Until then, girls should get the same treatment. Especially once they reach HS, it should 100% be their choice. I'm not a lefty "woke" guy, I just come from direct experience in the differences and it still bugs the ever loving crap out of me. I realize that, on this board, my opinion will be on the losing side. At this point I'll bow out. No hard feelings as just throwing my opinion out there. :)

Mar 13, 2010
Justanotherguy I’m like the leftist feminist you’ll ever meet. You can’t compare the sports. They are different and different rules. (Though for batting helmets boys should have them)

My association only girls are required to wear face masks when pitching and that drives me wild. The boys Comp don’t have it and it drives me wild. Our boys need protection too!

May 16, 2016
You are seeing more and more facial protection on batting helmets in baseball, all the way up to the professional level. It is the “C-shield”, not a cage like softball, but it is more common every day.

I think the C shield is kind of ridiculous. Basically, I see this as men who are too cowed by peer pressure to wear a helmet with a cage, yet recognize the risk of facial impact. I suppose it's a step in the right direction. It would seem to me, the solid C-flap would hinder vision more, and provide less protection than a cage.

Apparently, the C-flap offers more "Fragile Ego Protection".

Nov 18, 2013
Masks in the outfield look silly, doesn't matter if they're 6 or 16

Masks at 2B or SS look silly to a lot of people too. If they goal is safety shouldn't all the kids be wearing them? I can guarantee a D1 pitcher is far less likely to get a ball to the face than a HS age outfielder. I think every kid should have a right to wear a mask without being shamed by coaches, players or fans. I still have yet to hear an argument of why mandating them makes a lick of sense.

May 29, 2015
I think the C shield is kind of ridiculous. Basically, I see this as men who are too cowed by peer pressure to wear a helmet with a cage, yet recognize the risk of facial impact. I suppose it's a step in the right direction. It would seem to me, the solid C-flap would hinder vision more, and provide less protection than a cage.

Apparently, the C-flap offers more "Fragile Ego Protection".

Something to keep in mind ... softball cages are designed for softballs — bigger balls, bigger openings, better visibility.

A baseball cage would have to have smaller openings, which could - in theory - limit vision more. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a specifically designed baseball cage, so I can’t say for sure though.

May 29, 2015
On a side note ... and please do NOT take this as a comment from me on face masks ...

I was listening to a podcast where they started talking about safety equipment in the tree trimming industry. The tree trimmer said mandated equipment concerned him: “They are trying to idiot-proof it. That scares me because it means there are idiots with chainsaws and they are OK with that.”

Again, not commentary, but I laughed and thought of this conversation.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
From a purely selfish POV:

My DD wears a mask because she has come close to getting hit in the face on several occasions. She has seen other girls get hit in the face.

Again, purely selfish here, but I want the girls on the other team wearing masks. One time my DD hit a line drive which knocked the mask off the 3B. The umpire called time so the 3B could pick up the mask and continue play. Being completely selfish, I am glad my DD didn’t have to deal with the guilt of injuring another player. The altruistic side of me was darn happy the 3B wasn’t hurt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12