Mississippi will be the first state to require the four most dangerous positions (including catcher) to wear face masks in High School.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
DD's teammate started wearing a mask at SS halfway through the season after catching a hot one. Coincidentally that girl is attending and playing ball at an ol' University in Mississippi next year.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
How bout getting rid of the bats that are the same drop as these girls swung in 6u?

Make the bats -5 max

In baseball they swing drop 10s when they're 7 but at 14 they're limited to drop 3s, softball should do the same

Jun 8, 2016
I don't see the problem with masks, most kids here in OK under the age of 12 have probably been using them since they started playing. DD's rec league required them and now her TB coach requires them. Doesn't stop a kid from fielding a ground ball properly. If Ozzie Smith came up to me and said that he wanted to wear a mask I wouldn't have an issue with it....

Jun 8, 2016
How bout getting rid of the bats that are the same drop as these girls swung in 6u?

Make the bats -5 max

In baseball they swing drop 10s when they're 7 but at 14 they're limited to drop 3s, softball should do the same
I agree with this..

Apr 16, 2013
Or how about they let girls in 16/18u decide for themselves? But hey, girls are too fragile, boys are so much stronger and don't require protecting.

Also 110% agree with either heavier or less hot bats. Make the standard 1.0 just like baseball did with USA bats.

May 29, 2015
Will there be a performance standard for defensive masks? As of now, there is no NOCSAE standard. Requiring players to use unproven/untested safety equipment is possibly a worse idea. (I don’t mean face masks in general.)

I believe catcher’s chest protectors will be getting a NOCSAE standard (stamp) next year.

As for my suggestion on making the game safer (in addition to the bats comment) ... maybe it’s time to make the field bigger. Why exactly are 10u girls playing the same base distance as NCAA?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee