Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_psurr2kFey1usf292o1_400.gif

Here I'll save you the post.....
Help me understand the take away from your post. Are you saying the hand action occurs after the swing has been launched?
tumblr_psusveGBfk1usf292o1_400.gif

I believe I am seeing the hands manipulate the handle after lateral tilt.
So...you believe in drop the the rear shoulder/tilt. then swing.
You don't 'believe' in the swing slots/'drops' the rear shoulder. Nor the hands 'manipulate' the handle.
Also, keep in mind this is slow-mo.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'd like to state that I am an ex expert before contributing to this thread. I know Shawn has been involved discussion on this topic for over a decade. I'm reminded of the thread on another site where Nyman, JJA, etc. all brought physics into the discussion. Good times. :censored: I can't help but think about various contributors to this topic over the years as I read this thread. Mankin would be ecstatic. Much of what is discussed now was his ideas back then. For the "tip and rip" action, bbscout was the first to take about that. Per "rockin the U," Donnie was the first. Per the example posted about the comparisons between a vertical bat and one off the shoulder, that was Englishbey who demonstrated that technique while hitting balls out of baseball fields with one hand.

Per what I teach, I teach both tipping and ripping and rockin the u. I want to give my hitter the ability to have a running start. We work hard at that along with the ability to check the swing. We work hard in the position now defined as "half way home." Per the knob, I want my hitter to point the knob and deliver the barrel. I don't want the knob taken to the ball. If done correctly, that should be accomplished as the hands have come into connection and are riding connection for that very brief time. What we do is place a ball on the ground as a "restraint" and then have hitters attempt to get that knob pointed and barrel started before and at that ball location.

I'm glad a student's swing was not posted in this thread as a means of getting back at someone. My dd's swing was often posted in that manner. Still, she got the last laugh. I'd make a list of the experts who were wrong but ... LOL

Apr 12, 2016
tumblr_psurr2kFey1usf292o1_400.gif

Here I'll save you the post.....

tumblr_psusveGBfk1usf292o1_400.gif

So...you believe in drop the the rear shoulder/tilt. then swing.
You don't 'believe' in the swing slots/'drops' the rear shoulder. Nor the hands 'manipulate' the handle.
Also, keep in mind this is slow-mo.

I am confused. Is lateral tilt the same as dropping the rear shoulder? It doesn't feel that way to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802