Look back rule with a twist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
We had an umpire 2 weeks ago say that the look back rule didn't go into effect until pitcher was on the rubber. This is travel not rec. That was a first.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Must have been the same blue I got last year at a rec tourney... he told me lookback rule only applies once pitcher was on mound and looking at home plate.... he didn’t appreciate nor get my sarcasm when I asked “ok so will you let me take secondary leads too?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
very aggressive team that will use anything in their power to get extra bases and bend the rules esp involving look back rule as most USA umps in our area do not know or enforce this rule. Shallow base hit to left relay into second and back to pitcher. Runner rounds first and freezes staring at my pitcher. My pitcher makes zero movement and stares her down and the two are just frozen. That's where in the way i read the rules the runner must choose and not hesitate. Well this is this long awkward pause and my first baseman runs behind the runner clapping her glove and the runner bounces back and forth because of this. Pitcher still has not moved. Runner takes off to second and my pitcher waits to about halfway and fires to second like instructed. throw was off and now shes standing on third. I argue to no avail that the look back rule was not enforced multiple times. even showing them their own rule in the book. They told me it was a judgement call and i returned to my bucket knowing how arguing that would go.

question is aside from them not know the rules, can my first base do that to entice a runner to bounce? or should the rule be enforced before that is even necessary.

To start, you request time and ask the umpire why the rule is not being enforced?

Anything other than, "Sorry coach, you're right, we will do better" is most likely leaving you room for a protest. Then again, I am completely anti-LBR and this situation is a perfect example why the rule should be dumped

Apr 30, 2018
R2 for the opposing team (10u) got called out in one of our games this weekend. Not sure what the runner was thinking but she was about three or four steps off 2nd dancing back and forth like she was taunting our pitcher to throw it. Glad our pitcher did the right think and just stood there staring her down. Ump gave the batter plenty of time to make a decision and then called it. Opponent coach complained, but ump shut him down with a simple "you know the rules". Same game, same ump called another one of his players out for leaving early.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Very frustrating, isn't it?

In those situations, I've sometimes had my pitcher jog to second base with the ball, then walk the runner back to first base.

Ump, I can slow this game down to a crawl if you want to, but I'm not letting that runner get to second. We can do this all day, although I'd rather play ball.

I get how teams try to take every base they can. I'm fine with that. But when the pitcher has the ball in control and is looking at you, just go back and let your batters swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802