"Knob to the ball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I may have been interpreting this incorrectly for a long time. I know there are instructors who for certain teach it incorrectly. From the stretch position as I start my launch, if I take the flat underside portion of the knob towards the ball, the barrel will arc backwards(depending on pitch location there will be more or less arc), there will be a tight pivot around my back shoulder. But again all of this depends on proper body mechanics. If I am simply instructing what my hands are doing without proper sequence or involvement of other muscles, tension, stretch etc, then the demo will look strange and awkward

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I picture this:
CriminalLiquidLaughingthrush-size_restricted.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I view it as creating change in direction of the barrel synced up with a pulling contracting obliques. During the change in direction there is a brief time where the hands are free to set the path based on the pitch.

vxBprBm.gif

May 12, 2016
I picture this:
CriminalLiquidLaughingthrush-size_restricted.gif
I did too, and it was a very close minded approach. This is a crap drill IMO. I don't picture know to the ball looking like this, nobody attempts to the hit the ball with the knob, how silly

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I did too, and it was a very close minded approach. This is a crap drill IMO. I don't picture know to the ball looking like this, nobody attempts to the hit the ball with the knob, how silly
If I might, I do this drill differently. I take tennis balls and toss them in the area just off of the shoulder and have the hitter try to hit the ball with the knob. It is a very distinct where that knob does not travel more than 2 or 3 inches. As I have mentioned before, I teach point the knob/deliver the barrel. Naturally, the feeder has to be pretty good at hitting that area.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
With AP's more horizontal path the hands need to be free to stay inside the ball vs kept back and turned or else he would pull off (hook) multiple pitches.

YsaSvIG.gif

May 12, 2016
I view it as creating change in direction of the barrel synced up with a pulling contracting obliques. During the change in direction there is a brief time where the hands are free to set the path based on the pitch.

vxBprBm.gif
If I might, I do this drill differently. I take tennis balls and toss them in the area just off of the shoulder and have the hitter try to hit the ball with the knob. It is a very distinct where that knob does not travel more than 2 or 3 inches. As I have mentioned before, I teach point the knob/deliver the barrel. Naturally, the feeder has to be pretty good at hitting that area.
This is key IMO.. and depending on pitch location I believe the knob can travel further than this, but for the drill and to get the feel, I agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802