Is there such a thing as forward momentum.weight shift?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is there such a thing as forward momentum (weight shift) or is it just positioning to swing? Meaning are hitters just positioning their bodies to take a good swing?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s much deeper than that imo. But yes weight shift matters. The more you can shift properly the better the swing. At the end you shouldn’t mind the back foot becoming weightless. Imo that’s a perfect timing of the shift. And maximizing your power without trying to be powerful. Action/reaction.

Repositioning is what happens.. but the action is shift if that makes sense.

Weight a minute!! The two words mean the same thing!!! Shawn is this a joke?! I am amused if it is. LOL.

May 12, 2016
Personally I believe that re-positioning supports stretch/separation/weight shift, and the more you control the back side as the COM shifts forward(repositioning), the better the stretch/separation/weight shift. Actually it works better for my DD when we speak of keeping tension in the back hip while the body progresses forward, for her, speaking in terms of weight ends up putting too much focus on weighting the back leg/foot and a faulty superficial stride which doesn't result in stretch/separation/weight shift.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
I believe there is, or should be. The hitter should optimize their weight shift in a manner that they have momentum (body weight) going into the ball at, and through contact. This is where the "FYB" concept is so important IMO. If you don't have any "back" left to transfer forward into the ball at contact, you're giving up some additional potential energy into the ball with your swing.

It's like trying to break down a door with your shoulder. You wouldn't stand there on both feet next to the door and then try to power into it. But you might stand next to it, turn your shoulder and load rearward into your rear leg, then push off of that rear leg to drive your hips towards the door, and then your shoulder into it.

That is the same optimum momentum or energy creation you're looking to do with the swing...you just have to learn to adapt a timing element into it to be able to time your "momentum" to and through the ball at the right moment depending on the speed of the incoming pitch you're seeing. Easier said than done obviously.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

What do you call the first phase, coiling, loading? Do you look at the swing as 2 phases, prepare to swing and then swing?

I know the Cabrera clip isn't good for looking at weight shift, too much panning of the camera.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't like Yelich's rear knee action. Swing is loose when compared with Miggy's. Two very different swings. Look how differently they grip the bat. Both getting it done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101