Is slapping still useful

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
DD is more of a triple threat than a true slapper now as a college freshman. It’s pretty sweet when the defense pulls everyone in and she hits it to the fence so they then leave everyone back and she drops a bunt or a soft slap.
But it took a while to get to this point. She hits more than she slaps nowadays but a lot of that is the power she developed in the past few years but if the coach needs her to she’s pretty good at doing whatever is asked of her.

If it’s something you want your DD to work on find a different hitting coach

Jun 14, 2018
Find a new hitting instructor.

I agree with you on this to an extent. The exwife took her to this guy without talking to me, so I have that to deal with as well. DD likes this guy and her head coach called me last night at work to tell me that she looked way better at the plate in batting practice last night.

When it comes to speed she had a coach at one tryout clock her at 2.8 but all others were 3.0-3.2. She knows she is a fast runner and that gets her in trouble on the bases sometimes.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I've not found a coach who could teach both slapping and hitting to DD. Her slapper coach was a true D1 slapper and although she power slapped, she never stood in there and took a regular hack. The hitting coaches she's had over the years were ok at teaching slapping, but nothing like her slapping coach. They may get the basics, but they aren't going to take them to the next level to get really good.

My guess is this coach is NOT a good slapping coach and is using the rule change to steer your DD away.

I agree with everything Kpower and Murphdog have said in their comments. Have to be able to mix it up, that is the true advantage.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'd say slapping (which none of the good ones like being called a slapper) is as important as it ever was or maybe even more so. Our first two batters in every lineup are lefty slappers. Play them up, they bloop em over in front of outfield. Shift the outfield in, up and over. Playing back to cover the bloop, chopper or bunt. There truly is no way to defend against it and for whatever reason they see the ball really well. I've seen a medium ground ball to 2B fielded cleanly, defensive player takes a SMALL hop step throw and runner is safe every time. There is NEVER an easy at bat against these types except the occasional infield fly. Talking about .800-.900 avg for both of them. More than a couple weekends they've led the team in doubles triples and HR's too. This is 12u. If your kid is fastish and on the smaller side, I always tell parents "would you rather compete with 100 big and strong righties or 10 fast lefties?"

My DD's assist coach and one of her batting coaches played NPF and UofA D1. She coaches righty power hitters just fine. Here's a quote regarding "slapping" from her:

"There is something to be said about "slappers." There is no such thing. A high level, successful slapper does not exist. Caitlin Lowe, Natasha Watley, Allexis (Chip) Bennett, Haylie McCleney, and so many more, are not slappers. Every single one of these women is successful because they combine all of their tools. Each of these athletes can power slap, soft slap, chop slap, bunt, drag bunt, push bunt, and swing away at any time, against anyone, in any situation. Add some speed and a fake bunt here or there and you will find yourself a force of nature at the plate. So please, don’t demote anyone by calling her simply a "slapper."

May 27, 2013
Best thing I did for dd’s batting average this year was take her to a highly knowledgeable slapping coach. We were just down in Florida for spring training and her average was well above .500 (not OBP) over 6 games where as a righty hitter she’d average between .225 - maybe .300 in the same amount of games. She is a true righty but I think switching her to the left helps her to see the ball much better because to slap successfully you have to really follow the ball deeper than you typically would as a hitter. We faced a Tennessee-commit pitcher who was clocked throwing 65 during our one game and dd did very well getting bat on ball - almost got on twice - was out by half a step. She has only been slap-hitting for a few months so I’m very proud of her for even getting in the box against this girl lefty. She most likely would have been another K victim for this girl if she batted righty off her.

As others have mentioned, she’s being taught to read the defense. Her HS coach gives her the green light to do whatever she feels she needs to do to get on base. Defense moves in and she’ll hard slap or hit away. They move back and she’ll drag or soft slap. Bases loaded and pitcher not throwing 60+ she’ll move back to right side and typically hit to the OF. Hard playing surface and she knows to chop-slap.

Slapping, in my opinion, causes chaos, especially if there’s a runner already on. Her slapping coach has explained that as a slapper she needs to be unselfish, not worry about her BA - and that is my dd. She just wants to do what helps her team the most. She is very good at inducing errors or overthrows and getting on or moving runners up. It has been extremely rewarding for her so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802