Interesting article: Senior week or State playoffs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t know the situation. Was this a case where the girls made a commitment to this trip, expecting the team to lose early in the playoffs?
They also made a commitment to the team and only one of those commitments would negatively impact other people if they backed out of said commitment.

Apr 20, 2015
Are we seriously comparing a trip to the beach to her mother's wedding. My point is that this sr trip is something that obviously happens every year not an unknown so if your going to go don't commit to the team and just have fun being a Sr or playing travel or whatever else is important to you. If you commit to a team then commit all the way. We once drove 4 hours starting at 10pm after a family wedding to roll into our hotel at 2am and get up for an 8am bracket game because she made a commitment to her team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2019
Are we seriously comparing a trip to the beach to her mother's wedding. My point is that this sr trip is something that obviously happens every year not an unknown so if your going to go don't commit to the team and just have fun being a Sr or playing travel or whatever else is important to you. If you commit to a team then commit all the way. We once drove 4 hours starting at 10pm after a family wedding to roll into our hotel at 2am and get up for an 8am bracket game because she made a commitment to her team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
A senior trip will happen once in those girls lifetime. That was the third wedding the mom of the catcher on my DDs team had.
If the school scheduled the senior trip then perhaps even the schools administrators didn't feel that the game was that important.

Jun 8, 2016
If the school scheduled the senior trip then perhaps even the schools administrators didn't feel that the game was that important.
I am assuming every girl in the school doesn't play softball...

Would you at least agree that the decision was selfish?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There will ALWAYS be something that is more important than a softball game.
Last year on my DDs team the starting catcher left Sparklers Jr Power Pool after the third day in Colorado because she had to fly to Hawaii to be in her mom's wedding. I guess she's a spineless piece of garbage and the rest of the team should hold a grudge because something else came up. And that's Sparklers Power Pool, not some lower division in some states prep playoff game
Wow! You should be in a hayloft with that strawman.

Jun 8, 2016
?? What is your issue? Nobody is saying softball in Oklahoma is the best in the world. You asked a question regarding why coaches from OU would attend a state tournament in Oklahoma. I showed you that they had 5 committs from OK HS hence it is reasonable that they would go and watch.
To the moderator who edited this, while it might not have been the best insult, it was the most appropriate.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Found a 2017 article on one of the young ladies....Kinzie Thompson Article Her mother was an Olympian on the 1996 USA field hockey team.

Kinzie committed to play field hockey at Liberty University. She is a D1 field hockey player, but not a D1 softball player.

She is 18YOA, and no longer a HS student. So, that opens her up to criticism.

I understand the kid's point of view. She has made a lot of sacrifices, but that goes with the territory. If you don't want to make sacrifices for your teammates, then you shouldn't be playing.

I disagree very strongly with what she did. She showed no appreciation or concern for teammates. That attitude is not going to serve her well.

She is young and maybe she'll make more responsible choices in the future.

Feb 3, 2016
Kansas (KU), Colorado (CU), and Mizzou (MU) too
Found this online...
University of Kansas - KU vs University of Kentucky (UK)
University of Missouri -MU vs University of Michigan (UM)
University of Colorado - CU vs University of California (UC)
University of Tulsa - TU vs University of Texas (UT)
University of Denver - DU vs University of Delaware (UD)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A senior trip will happen once in those girls lifetime. That was the third wedding the mom of the catcher on my DDs team had.

The trip they are talking about is referred to as "senior week". It is not sponsored by the school. It is an opportunity for graduating seniors to party at the beach. DD did not attend her "senior week" but we have learned that several of her classmates were arrested for under age drinking. Unfortunately, that is very common with these trips.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
How dare those 2 young people - who did not break any laws and who notified the coach 6 days before the game - be free to do what they wanted?! The "article" and this thread scream of entitlement.

Their departure allowed an opportunity for others to step up. Two other players were able to play when they might never have seen the field otherwise. The replacements made the most of the opportunity, but as a group, they came up short.

According to the story, they had won the first 6 playoff games with a combined total of 41-3. With that kind of dominance, why wasn't the bench being used more, one might wonder: "Ronayne later admitted that even though she’s played in the outfield in travel softball, she had never before played the position in high school."

Observers can talk about the glory of high school achievements, but the one lesson all the adults here ought to take away is that you do not get to determine another person's values. I disagree with what the girls did, but it was their choice to make, not mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2