Injury, Pitching and Picking up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
As I look at the Facebook pages that are searching for Pick up players, I notice several teams claiming they need a pitcher due to injury.
Is there any stats on the injury rate of pitchers?
What are the most common injures for pitchers?
How common is hit by batted balls? and how serious are these incidents?
Any formal studies ?

Apr 12, 2015
I don't know of any studies, just my own anecdotal experiences.

My DD has pitched for 5 years now. She's never had a pitching related injury.

She's been hit with a batted ball three times: Once in the shin, twice in the stomach. Other than bruises she was fine. This is probably over close to 3k innings pitched over 5 years.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD has had a few pitching related injuries, nothing too serious. She's been pitching for about 6 years. The best one was when she sprained her ankle running from a bee and was out for almost 2 weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When I see a team claiming injuries, I see a 50/50 bet that people quit. In 13 years of this, I personally know of one pitcher who had to stop pitching for awhile because of a pitching-related injury.

Apr 28, 2019
My DD has had a few pitching related injuries, nothing too serious. She's been pitching for about 6 years. The best one was when she sprained her ankle running from a bee and was out for almost 2 weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Too funny. What is it with girls & bugs?

Jun 8, 2016
Pitcher on my DD's team got hit off the top of her head last tournament. It somehow missed her mask but also just kind of skipped off the top of her head..scary for a second but she was ok and kept pitching after.

Jun 19, 2016
In most cases it is because they are either had someone quit or they are looking for the next best thing.

I am not sure the posts really work. My DD has picked up many times and it has never been in response to a Facebook post.

Apr 28, 2019
As I look at the Facebook pages that are searching for Pick up players, I notice several teams claiming they need a pitcher due to injury.
Is there any stats on the injury rate of pitchers?
What are the most common injures for pitchers?
How common is hit by batted balls? and how serious are these incidents?
Any formal studies ?
Good pitchers are hard to find especially at younger ages. They can get used and abused if your not careful. I’ve seen a coaches daughter pitch 3 consecutive games in a 12U tournament. She is a Great young pitcher and throws 1,200 practice pitches a week. It’s a crazy amount in my opinion but she is a work horse and has never been injured as far as I know. I would never allow my kids to throw that much. I’m content with a game on Sat and a game on Sun.
My daughters have never been hit by a batted ball. One daughter has very good form and great reflexes so not worried about her. My other daughter I worry about a little as she is pitching more and facing older girls. All you can really do is wear a mask and maybe a heart guard if your concerned.
Most pitching coaches would disagree with me on this but I tell my girls to finish the pitch and then get in an athletic position as quickly as possible. Once you release the ball your a fielder and expected to field your position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478