Information and a Discussion on Rule 14.2.3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2014
Hi,
See rule below

I can’t find a lot of information or examples for this rule. As an example if 3rd or 1st basemen is playing in front of the bag on a slapper and she hard slaps and ball deflects off her glove it’s a hit? Is it the same if SS or 2nd basemen is playing up? I watch a lot of college games and this seams to be the way they score it. Even if it’s hit hard and right at the shortstop who is playing up they score it a hit. What’s your Interpertation?

NCAA Rule 14.2.3When a fair-batted ball deflects off a fielder playing in front of first or third base, a hit is credited to the batter.

fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/Softball_Rules.pdf

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hi,
See rule below

I can’t find a lot of information or examples for this rule. As an example if 3rd or 1st basemen is playing in front of the bag on a slapper and she hard slaps and ball deflects of her glove it’s a hit? Is it the same if SS or 2nd basemen is playing up? I watch a lot of college games and this seams to be the way they score it. Even if it’s hit hard and right at the shortstop who is playing up they score it a hit. What’s your Interpertation?

NCAA Rule 14.2.3When a fair-batted ball deflects off a fielder playing in front of first or third base, a hit is credited to the batter.

I'm not sure what you're referencing. The NCAA Softball Scoring rules (Batting-Section 3) say this about a deflected ball...

Credit a base hit if...

"On a fair ball hit with such force or so slowly that more than a routine play is required to put out the batter-runner....If a slowly hit ball or a hard hit ball is deflected and eliminates a routine play for another fielder..."

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

There's nothing that I see that talks about where the fielder is positioned or whether the batter slaps in terms of awarding a base hit, but it obviously matters when assessing whether a hit ball could be fielded with "ordinary effort". If a fielder is up, and a hard shot deflects off the fielder's body or glove, it could easily be scored a hit. Similarly, if a fielder is back and a slow-roller or high bouncer comes at them, they might not have an "ordinary effort" play on the ball. The NCAA scoring book lays out comprehensive criteria for scoring a hit or error, but it still often comes down to scorekeeper's judgement. Having played some ball definitely affects that judgement process, and I find that my definition of "ordinary effort" is narrower than than some who end up scoring in youth and HS ball.

May 26, 2014
Try here on page 142 under Scoring/Battting/14.2 Basehit

fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/Softball_Rules.pdf

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee