Index finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD has small hands but can really spin the ball. On the rise it seems she tilts her index down sometimes. Been talking about keeping her fingers long. All pitches seem to work better when concentrating on the index finger

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
d3a110ada943ad6b2ea529c71feda493.jpg

I like to joke about how D looks like she is always pointing. Not something she was taught but picked up. Definitely helps her spins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
DD has small hands but can really spin the ball. On the rise it seems she tilts her index down sometimes. Been talking about keeping her fingers long. All pitches seem to work better when concentrating on the index finger

I've heard Rich Balswick talk about making sure you "left the nose up" on the rise. He's essentially saying what you're thinking.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I've heard Rich Balswick talk about making sure you "left the nose up" on the rise. He's essentially saying what you're thinking.

Rich and I spoke on this as well....
He calls the outside axis point of the ball the nose... He wants it slightly orientated upwards at release and not horizontal.... This is in an attempt to keep the fingers more under the ball.

Jan 28, 2017

Wondering, does Rich Balswick talk about the nose of the ball on the curve ball or turnover drop?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Wondering, does Rich Balswick talk about the nose of the ball on the curve ball or turnover drop?
The "nose" is the axis point.... So yes, there is always an awareness of the spin axis. On a rise, keep the nost slightly upward as this reinforces the fingers under the ball. On a palm up curve, the nose will be pure north, this gets the fingers outside and around the ball

Aug 21, 2008

Willing to bet dollars to doughnuts, Balswick never threw a turnover drop in his life. I never even heard of such a pitch until I got into doing lessons. I'll bet he didn't either.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812