Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2016
Daughters team ran into this pitcher at a tourney up here in Canada. Have never seen a pitcher like this before. Arm is doing 2 rotations? Illegal pitch?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Dad gave up on her ever having a decent backswing and said let's just start here? I don't know if it's illegal or not but definitely one for the best of intentions book.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Not sure about the arm...I think the general rule (at least what I've seen in NCAA and NFHS) is "not more than 1-1/2 rotations" before releasing the ball. Looks to me like she starts her first rotation at 12 o'clock then releases after 1-1/2 rotations at ~6 o'clock.

So the rotation may not be illegal, but what about the hands coming apart and then back together prior to the wind-up?

May 29, 2015
Not sure about the arm...I think the general rule (at least what I've seen in NCAA and NFHS) is "not more than 1-1/2 rotations" before releasing the ball. Looks to me like she starts her first rotation at 12 o'clock then releases after 1-1/2 rotations at ~6 o'clock.

So the rotation may not be illegal, but what about the hands coming apart and then back together prior to the wind-up?

I’ll have to look up the verbiage a little later, but my first thought is the same as TMD’s ... because of where she is starting, I think she is legal.

What rule set were you playing? That may make a difference.

First thing I saw was the hands come apart and back together though! 👀 (It looked like she was warming up 🙂)

Nov 18, 2015
I thought illegal for sure as well, but USSSA Sect. 6.1.G.4. says:
The pitcher does not make more than one and one half revolutions of
the arm in the windmill pitch. A pitcher may drop the pitching arm to
the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion. The ball
does not have to be released the first time past the hip.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
ASA/USA states a pitcher may not make 2 revolutions of the arm on the windmill delivery. No definition of revolution that i found

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
ASA/USA states a pitcher may not make 2 revolutions of the arm on the windmill delivery. No definition of revolution that i found

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I'd assume one revolution is a full 360 degree circle.

Apr 15, 2016
Coaches never said anything to umps as the girls were hitting her pretty good. Umps were talking about it but nothing was said to the pitcher or their coaches. Never seen that before so was just curious what people’s opinions are about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802