I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
This is great stuff. I've been coaching my DD since age 4, we just moved into 10U this fall with our true 9 year old team. Our pitchers have all taken lessons from various PC's around town but none have ever mentioned I/R, always teach HE, and it's been accepted practice since they're the "known" PC's. Lots of high pitches, and just not having good explanations for some of those mechanics other than that's just how it is. I've been trying to research and read/watch videos heavily since our Fall season ended and by luck the I/R bat drill video popped up in the rotation. I saw it and googled I/R and took off form there (BM, Schonberg, Tincher, Hillhouse, etc. all opened up a completely new world to me.) My mind was blown. Finally an approach and movements that make sense to me with the natural movements of the arm and body.

I've found a local Tincher PC and contacted FP about virtual lessons (Forearm Fire), looking to learn and teach DD this approach and take it to our other pitchers also. They're all still young and first season pitchers so now's the time.....will see what parents think as everyone has their opinions I know, I'm sold though. Thanks so much for great instruction and helping improve pitching in the world of fastpitch!!

That’s exactly how I found this site! Welcome and enjoy the journey!

Mar 22, 2019
Illinois
This is great stuff. I've been coaching my DD since age 4, we just moved into 10U this fall with our true 9 year old team. Our pitchers have all taken lessons from various PC's around town but none have ever mentioned I/R, always teach HE, and it's been accepted practice since they're the "known" PC's. Lots of high pitches, and just not having good explanations for some of those mechanics other than that's just how it is. I've been trying to research and read/watch videos heavily since our Fall season ended and by luck the I/R bat drill video popped up in the rotation. I saw it and googled I/R and took off form there (BM, Schonberg, Tincher, Hillhouse, etc. all opened up a completely new world to me.) My mind was blown. Finally an approach and movements that make sense to me with the natural movements of the arm and body.

I've found a local Tincher PC and contacted FP about virtual lessons (Forearm Fire), looking to learn and teach DD this approach and take it to our other pitchers also. They're all still young and first season pitchers so now's the time.....will see what parents think as everyone has their opinions I know, I'm sold though. Thanks so much for great instruction and helping improve pitching in the world of fastpitch!!

JUst curious as to what is HE means?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
"Hello Elbow" might look like these:
Softball Pitching: How To Pitch a Softball | Softball Drills & Tips Video Library | PlaySportsTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc99t_g9RUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tC79baMU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDUC-B-eGA

Hello Elbow can be characterized by these points:
-Ball facing 2nd base at 12 o'clock
-Wrist cocked back--ready to snap
-Arm speed is critical
-Ball is pushed down to release
-Wrist snaps violently at the "release point."
-Hand/fingers peel up the ball
-Arm forcefully pulls up hard and finishes with the fingers touching the shoulder and elbow pointing at the target
-Hips snap through and face squarely to target after release

Arm whip (IR) looks like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5X86nD_WS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiG4ji3onQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6z39S19x8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQz7CKn0SS4

Whip/IR might be characterized by:
-The ball is pulled around the circle
-Lower arm is loose and relaxed, resulting in a lagged lower arm and ball
-Palm is facing upwards from 9-8 o'clock
-Upper arm pauses at the ribs allowing the lower arm/ball to accelerate
-Upper arm internally rotates, elbow stays flexed
-Lower arm wraps/rolls/brushes around the hip--triggering release
-Lower arm/wrist/hand rotates from a palm up/supinated position to a palm downish/pronated position
-Overall follow through is relaxed and natural

Aug 19, 2016
I was re-reading this thread....the following from Boardmember in the first thread leads me to my question below:

"In order for this transfer to occur, the upper arm must be caused to decelerate to almost a stop when it reaches the stable vertical position close to the side, and then continue forward as a follow through energy dissipation result........That cause begins with Internal Rotation of the forearm "taking the energy" from the arm circle, causing decel of the upper arm........"

My question is what is actually causing the decel of the upper arm? Is it the IR, is it brush, should you try to intentionally stop (decel) the arm???

Apr 12, 2015
My question is what is actually causing the decel of the upper arm?

The answer is in the section you quoted:

That cause begins with Internal Rotation of the forearm "taking the energy" from the arm circle, causing decel of the upper arm........

It is a natural process of internal rotation in the pitching motion. It is a non-teach.

Aug 19, 2016
The answer is in the section you quoted:

It is a natural process of internal rotation in the pitching motion. It is a non-teach.

I saw what you are referring to but when I tried it myself (IR) there is no decerlation unless I physically try stopping my arm...I don't see how IR alone cause the arm to decelerate to almost a stop.

Apr 12, 2015
You might be thinking of it as something that it is not.

Well, that's clear as mud :p

As you pull the ball down the backside of the circle, your upper arm/elbow area will naturally come to your side before hand. This is the lag of the whip. At this point the hand will accelerate past the upper arm and elbow. Once it is past the upper arm, the upper arm releases from the side in the dissipation of energy.

Now some will muscle through the motion, which I call "blowing through the release". This results in an upper arm that never stabilizes.

It is a motion that literally takes place in a fraction of a second.

Aug 19, 2016
You might be thinking of it as something that it is not.

Well, that's clear as mud :p

As you pull the ball down the backside of the circle, your upper arm/elbow area will naturally come to your side before hand. This is the lag of the whip. At this point the hand will accelerate past the upper arm and elbow. Once it is past the upper arm, the upper arm releases from the side in the dissipation of energy.

Now some will muscle through the motion, which I call "blowing through the release". This results in an upper arm that never stabilizes.

It is a motion that literally takes place in a fraction of a second.
You're explanation really helps...I really appreciate you taking the time to post that explanation! I just watched a video of my DD and she is doing the whole "blowing through release".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28