I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2016
BTW would more bend in the arm help with ISR contributing? in theory a more bent arm means the ball travels in a longer radius around the elbow as you IR.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
BTW would more bend in the arm help with ISR contributing? in theory a more bent arm means the ball travels in a longer radius around the elbow as you IR.

In my opinion, with regards to arm-bend.... if you're starting with a pitcher with an arm that is straight (no bend at elbow), more bend is obviously better.... UP TO A POINT. I think we all know that bending your arm to the point that you can touch your shoulder with your finger isn't going to do much good. In fact, it would be very difficult to pitch.

I believe the optimal degree of bend is dependent on the pitcher (i.e., how lanky her arm is, etc.).

Jun 18, 2010
Liberty Step Progression

Liberty Side and Rear......If you'll notice, this drill closely mimics the actions of the Magician drill:

In addition to the Liberty, we have been doing a modified Liberty. It's a Liberty with a step, "Liberty Step". We have been doing this as a "next progression" before a full pitch to engage the core and lower half more.

drop_zpsaf9xjqn3.gif
drop_slow_zpsoe79kdal.gif

You'll notice BM's gear like spin with the marked ball.

This is a view of proper spin from a RH'd pitcher. IF we can catch this spin as the forearm/wrist turns through, we're in really good shape:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
In addition to the Liberty, we have been doing a modified Liberty. It's a Liberty with a step, "Liberty Step". We have been doing this as a "next progression" before a full pitch to engage the core and lower half more.

drop_zpsaf9xjqn3.gif

Damn good to see you post Knightsb!!

Oct 12, 2014
Thank you very much for all the contributions to the I/R Classroom thread. I would like to start working with my daughter on this and it seems that most of BoardMembers posts pictures/videos in the thread are broken. I'm a visual person and would like to know if this information is available anywhere else with the pictures/videos?

Or at least a list of the drills and the order in which to teach them.

Once again thank you very much.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thank you very much for all the contributions to the I/R Classroom thread. I would like to start working with my daughter on this and it seems that most of BoardMembers posts pictures/videos in the thread are broken. I'm a visual person and would like to know if this information is available anywhere else with the pictures/videos?

Or at least a list of the drills and the order in which to teach them.

Once again thank you very much.

Here is a doc created by MountieSB that has most of the thread AND working gifs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZw6Nr3f4KXKJokOkoCQkldKP6c93VAaqaKtrG6Bp8Q/edit

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

drop_zpsaf9xjqn3.gif

Love this!! Thanks for sharing. We mix in a heavy ball occasionally with this.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken - you saved the day again and I don't have this one. THANK YOU!

Anymore you may have somewhere? Perhaps you could post all of them to a new thread. Maybe call it "Stickies before images were lost" or something like that.

MountieSB is our hero for creating a doc for this and one for the DM sticky. I'm hoping there's an easy way to restore all the gifs, but I worry it would involve the authors redoing each file, uploading them then updating every post. FFS must have hundreds that are gone...

Here is the link to the DM doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18CuUI2qjz3TSNnj28xm2dXKg9xJBDUslQIEJrUY-xDo/edit

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2