I/R in the Classroom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
My mind is 🤯
DD (10 years old) has a pretty solid foundation of “Hello Elbow”. My oldest DD who will get the opportunity to play D2 was taught this way via PC (that we love). She may not pitch at that level but she’s pretty blessed physically & a hard worker.... So our PC is retired now and I learned a lot from him due to catching for my oldest. Youngest has now been learning pitching per request for about for 6 months. After more begging I’ve finally given her the ok and she’s pitched in about 7-10 games late this summer season. She’s had success so this I/R approach to pitching is going to be tough to sell to her. Would y’all recommend implementing this technique gradually as a “new pitch” in practices until she’s ready to go in games? All she knows now is 4-seam fastball. I have been very conservative about starting her in games too soon and with new pitches (such as the change up & drop) until I believe she has mastered fundamentals and location. This is very much a concern. We’ve just now started to work on inside-outside of the plate.
Sincerely,
Questioning Everything Now

Have you watched her on video? She may be already IR'ing it a little bit on accident/naturally(best case!). If she is, that video might be helpful for convincing her to try to do what she is already is doing sort of.

A few good 10u pitchers I've seen get taught one thing but on film/photos, low and behold they are getting IR.

Jun 29, 2023
Just have to say that I've loved the conversation on this thread. Thanks you @BoardMember and others for your contributions to this! Wish I would have found this thread 10 years ago when my daughter first started pitching and taught her many wrong things. :) In the past three years I've started to pitch in men's fastpitch and basically using many of the I/R concepts here- but now can explain it better. Again, thank you!

Aug 21, 2008
Just have to say that I've loved the conversation on this thread. Thanks you @BoardMember and others for your contributions to this! Wish I would have found this thread 10 years ago when my daughter first started pitching and taught her many wrong things. :) In the past three years I've started to pitch in men's fastpitch and basically using many of the I/R concepts here- but now can explain it better. Again, thank you!
where did you play men's fastpitch? Maybe we know some of the same people...

Jun 29, 2023
@Hillhouse - Currently play in central Minnesota in a town called Freeport. We have 11 teams in the area for a league and a few other pockets in Minnesota with men's fastpitch. Same daughter I mentioned in my previous post pitches with us- so dream come true to play with her on the same team. I pitch one game of the double header and she pitches the other game. I'm currently 48 years old- wish I would have found out about this league when I could still move. We formed a team with many of the coaches from our girl's fastpitch association- really fun when the girls come and watch their coach and use many of the same comments the coaches use on them. "Don't swing at the high ones" "Keep your glove down on the ground balls" "Hustle"

We have a game this Thursday night if you would like to come out and pitch one of the games of the doubleheader. :)

Aug 21, 2008
@Hillhouse - Currently play in central Minnesota in a town called Freeport. We have 11 teams in the area for a league and a few other pockets in Minnesota with men's fastpitch. Same daughter I mentioned in my previous post pitches with us- so dream come true to play with her on the same team. I pitch one game of the double header and she pitches the other game. I'm currently 48 years old- wish I would have found out about this league when I could still move. We formed a team with many of the coaches from our girl's fastpitch association- really fun when the girls come and watch their coach and use many of the same comments the coaches use on them. "Don't swing at the high ones" "Keep your glove down on the ground balls" "Hustle"

We have a game this Thursday night if you would like to come out and pitch one of the games of the doubleheader. :)
Thanks for the invite!!! I don't see myself in Central Minnesota on Thursday but, I'll keep it in mind.

Do you have younger guys playing? Kids? The reason I ask, if you have young males playing, I'm sure the US National teams (18u and 23u) would love to hear about them, and maybe make a trip to go see them play!!!! I know they'd be interested in hearing about the league. And the others in Minnesota if you know where they are. The days of 100's of teams in places are long gone, but there are pockets that have some men's FP, that a lot of people don't know about. Sometimes those leagues are goldmines for finding young male players. Can you email me? I can get the word of where things are at to the right people: bill@houseofpitching.com

Sep 12, 2023
So, bottom line is WHEN TRAINING I/R........Get the ball turning toward the RH batter as the forearm/wrist are turning through toward the LH batter.........
BM, what do you think about using a disk frisbee to get kids to conceptualize how to turn the forearm and wrist toward the LH batter? Since the frisbee is flat, it is easy to see how it rotates through the motion.

Jul 14, 2008
BM, what do you think about using a disk frisbee to get kids to conceptualize how to turn the forearm and wrist toward the LH batter? Since the frisbee is flat, it is easy to see how it rotates through the motion.
Nope, but I know flicking an underhand spiral with a nerf football works wonders. Football spins right and the hand turns over AFTER IT'S GONE, otherwise you can't throw a spiral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28