I hate this time of the year!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
I really wish softball had a governing body like volleyball or softball. Every year coaches/teams/orgs try to have tryouts earlier and earlier in order to get the best of the best. Our local Fastpitch board states that no postings are allowed until July 15th. However, we all know word gets around about who is holding tryouts before that - FB, word of mouth, etc.

This year one of the premier orgs in our area has invited players to open workouts for the remainder of the summer with tryouts officially on July 1st. The parents on DD’s team were horrified that they would hold tryouts so early. Well...yesterday DD’s coach announced that he would be holding tryouts on JUNE 19th (next Weds) and that he needed a commitment from any returning player by next Monday. I am pissed. We still have 2 tourneys, plus the Sparkler and nationals. Seriously - how is this good for a team? DD loves the girls and the coaches but I think she needs to be pushed harder. There is no competition for her on her current team - so she has gotten slightly complacent. But the coach is amazing about working with her during basketball season and track season. Ugh. Why????? What to do? I know there are other coaches who would take her - we have been approached on multiple occasions...do we do the safe thing or take a gamble?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2014
The bottom line is you have to say 'yes' whether or not you really know, so as to avoid any negative consequences to her the balance of this season.

Feb 15, 2017
Really tough issue - I have two trains on the track right now:

1. Call coach and say something genuine like “we really love this team and how things are going but we don’t want to ruin it by saying yes or no this early in the process. Can we not stay focused on finishing out a great season and then worry about next year then? DD could decide at seasons end that she wants to play X sport full time and not play softball anymore. I don’t want to put her in the situation where she will lose focus on commitment to this team in this season”

2. Say sure - we are in....and then look anyway in case the whole thing blows up.

I guess it comes down to - is the coach a great coach and is your daughter being challenged at the level she should be by said coach and the teams they have historically been able to field. If that answer is yes then....

Apr 16, 2013
I don't get the "Say yes or no" crap so early. All it does is force people to say "yes" that have no intention of saying "yes" right away.

Apr 26, 2015
They also require a $350 commitment fee. :mad:

DD has learned a lot on this team and from these coaches - however, she is one of the best players on the team. There is no competition for her position so I don't know if she is going to continue to get better.

Apr 26, 2015
Depends on your kid..some kids have internal motivation and other's need an external push. Not sure how old your DD is, but at a certain age one does need to have some self-motivation.

I probably phrased that wrong. She is actually very self motivated and a perfectionist (on the field and in the classroom)...she is always working at getting better, But, I've also seen what she does when someone says she can't do something or isn't the best. When someone puts a challenge to her it lights an inferno in her. It makes her rise to a whole new level. I feel like she will continue to work regardless.

For instance, a couple weeks ago she was struggling at the plate. She has always been a good line drive, contact hitter. For whatever reason she kept grounding out. Her coach told her her bat was too big. I tried to talk her into using her old bat - just to see. But she was determined to prove to him that her bat was not too big. She videoed herself on the tee and sent them to her hitting coach. He gave her some direction and she has been hitting like crazy again. Doubles and triples consistently. She doesn't sit back - but given a challenge she will rise...I think that's what is lacking on her current team.

Jun 8, 2016
I probably phrased that wrong. She is actually very self motivated and a perfectionist (on the field and in the classroom)...she is always working at getting better, But, I've also seen what she does when someone says she can't do something or isn't the best. When someone puts a challenge to her it lights an inferno in her. It makes her rise to a whole new level. I feel like she will continue to work regardless.

For instance, a couple weeks ago she was struggling at the plate. She has always been a good line drive, contact hitter. For whatever reason she kept grounding out. Her coach told her her bat was too big. I tried to talk her into using her old bat - just to see. But she was determined to prove to him that her bat was not too big. She videoed herself on the tee and sent them to her hitting coach. He gave her some direction and she has been hitting like crazy again. Doubles and triples consistently. She doesn't sit back - but given a challenge she will rise...I think that's what is lacking on her current team.
Some extra motivation certainly never hurts :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28