How much is too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
You hear the greats talking about it at some point, stay relaxed, loose muscles are fast muscles, etc etc.. We talk about creating stretch, creating tension, resistance. Can too much be detrimental to powering your swing? For example, how much tension/resistance do you want to build in your backside when the COM progresses forward? As much as possible, or can that lead to getting to tense? I understand you want to be explosive, but the pros look smooth to me, quiet power.. with the odd exception.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Julray, (stay relaxed, loose muscles are fast muscles)it needs be reactive.. I refer to is as a soft oblique contraction to get things started (Initial tipping of the bat).. You relax the contraction which should allow for the obliques to become stretched while moving into the fyb position for final contraction/swing.

Get this move correct and the sequence has a chance to flow into a fyb/leveraged position while stretching reactively.

7gOCRnJ.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You hear the greats talking about it at some point, stay relaxed, loose muscles are fast muscles, etc etc.. We talk about creating stretch, creating tension, resistance. Can too much be detrimental to powering your swing? For example, how much tension/resistance do you want to build in your backside when the COM progresses forward? As much as possible, or can that lead to getting to tense? I understand you want to be explosive, but the pros look smooth to me, quiet power.. with the odd exception.

I think the hitter will figure the feel part out on their own as far as ‘how much’ etc.

TDS is correct imo. Get the start correct with the correct intentions and the sequence can work most of it out... after that it’s about pitch recognition and how smart the hands are.

BUT there is a TON going on in the JD clip above that needs to be right. No doubt about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101