How does the branding of your gear work at a D3 school?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm going to be starting my freshman year at a D3 school in PA in August. I've already done everything I need to on my end expressing interest in playing softball for the college. But I'm wondering what I should do with my already existing gear. I have Evoshield shields, a facemask for in case I'm asked to play third or even if I could be called to pitch (I can pitch in a pinch). I own a different brand of cleats and I use Spyder batting gloves. I think the school mostly uses Nike gear but I can't swear to it. Do I have to pay to make as much as the gear to comply as I can or does the school pay for it? Can I still use my old gear since it's a D3 school and it don't make a whole lot of difference? If I can't use my old gear, I think I'll donate it to my sister.

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
First and foremost, congratulations on continuing to play at the next level and best of luck in college!

Regarding gear and DIII, it will very much depend on the school. Based on my own daughter's DIII experience, be prepared to supply pretty much all of your own gear (except batting helmet). Different schools may provide more or less equipment than others, so don't be afraid to ask before heading there in August. Team-provided cleats seems to be pretty common, as well as some practice gear (shirts, shorts, etc.), but protective gear like fielder's facemask, evo shield, etc. and batting gloves will probably be your own responsibility.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'm going to be starting my freshman year at a D3 school in PA in August. I've already done everything I need to on my end expressing interest in playing softball for the college. But I'm wondering what I should do with my already existing gear. I have Evoshield shields, a facemask for in case I'm asked to play third or even if I could be called to pitch (I can pitch in a pinch). I own a different brand of cleats and I use Spyder batting gloves.

Congrats on starting college and also playing when you get there.

Every college is different no matter the division. Everything from they provide nothing and it is on you to provide your own gear to absolutley everything is provided. Often depends on how seriously the school take their athletics and how seriously the athletics dept takes softball.

To find out simply ask anyone currently there - one of the coaches or players. One of the current players will give you the 'real' situation. Go in with no expectations and be happy with anything they do provide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22