How Did She Do It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Small in stature, but packed a ton of power. So much talk about TTB, slight upward swing plane, etc etc. But why was she do great? She didn't even rotate her hips completely half the time. I don't have an expert eye, but I am not seeing her get behind and up through the ball at all. This is a crazy video!!

Number 11 went into the next state, province here in Canada, :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Those were fn lasers. She is strong, has lots of lag or whip, and great eye hand. Bat looks almost too big for her until she starts swinging it. She catches it out in front (doesnt let it get deep) but still stays inside the ball. Notice she doesn't hook any of them. So much for swinging around the rear hip socket. She is a rockstar.

Jun 8, 2016
Romero is obviously a great athlete and good a hitter but in 2017 Romero hit .302 in NPF. Kelly Kretschman on the other hand hit .500

My kid is hitting close to .500 through 40 or so ABs this year. Granted it is 10U but you have seen her swing..it looks like she should be hitting .050. Although the pitching is obviously much better, Romero's "swing flaws" are a lot less (obviously... :rolleyes:) than my DD's and she is probably a better athlete with better hand-eye coordination. You can get away with a lot if you are a good athlete, with good hand-eye coordination in particular in softball with the hot bats and short fences....

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Romero is obviously a great athlete and good a hitter but in 2017 Romero hit .302 in NPF. Kelly Kretschman on the other hand hit .500...

I'm not here to compare her to anybody else. If I was I could say Romero sits 9th all time in NCAA with 82 home runs while Kretschman sits 63rd with 60 home runs. I would like to talk about breaking down Romero's swing and explain how she was/is able to do it, she seems to be going against the grain here.

May 12, 2016
Those were fn lasers. She is strong, has lots of lag or whip, and great eye hand. Bat looks almost too big for her until she starts swinging it. She catches it out in front (doesnt let it get deep) but still stays inside the ball. Notice she doesn't hook any of them. So much for swinging around the rear hip socket. She is a rockstar.
Front toss lazers, I agree and it looks like she's just clipping the ball, not really getting behind and through it, so wth? It looks like she's hitting golf balls the way they are coming off the bat and they just keep on going.

May 12, 2016
Romero is obviously a great athlete and good a hitter but in 2017 Romero hit .302 in NPF. Kelly Kretschman on the other hand hit .500

My kid is hitting close to .500 through 40 or so ABs this year. Granted it is 10U but you have seen her swing..it looks like she should be hitting .050. Although the pitching is obviously much better, Romero's "swing flaws" are a lot less (obviously... :rolleyes:) than my DD's and she is probably a better athlete with better hand-eye coordination. You can get away with a lot if you are a good athlete, with good hand-eye coordination in particular in softball with the hot bats and short fences....

But it's all relative isn't it. There are many great hitter that have come through the NCAA, with great mechanics who have been great athletes. Why would Romero ever make the top 10 in homeruns with a swing like that.. not to mention Chameberlain who leads the all time list? Her hitting coach told her after her first game that she needs to be more direct to the ball, A to C. Chameberlain claims it changed her life and career. She started taking the ball out of the park much more often with that swing approach.

I know she over bakes it in this video, but you can see in a lot of her home runs she's not getting behind and up through the ball, very similar path to Romero.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Small in stature, but packed a ton of power. So much talk about TTB, slight upward swing plane, etc etc. But why was she do great? She didn't even rotate her hips completely half the time. I don't have an expert eye, but I am not seeing her get behind and up through the ball at all. This is a crazy video!!

Number 11 went into the next state, province here in Canada, :)

Julray, notice the leverage she gets in her positive move towards the pitcher (fyb).. Her obliques amongst many other core muscles are heavily involved. The leverage against the oblique stretch sets up for a very powerful movement.

uCMY169.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I'm not here to compare her to anybody else. If I was I could say Romero sits 9th all time in NCAA with 82 home runs while Kretschman sits 63rd with 60 home runs. I would like to talk about breaking down Romero's swing and explain how she was/is able to do it, she seems to be going against the grain here.

NPF pitching > College pitching...but in terms of her ability to hit she obviously generates a good amount of bat speed due to a combination of her mechanics and athleticism (fast-switch/explosiveness) and even if her path may be less than optimal to some, her hand eye coordination/athleticism allows her to barrel up more balls compared to others who may have the same sort of path but who are not as blessed genetically or perhaps who have not worked as hard...

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yeah, I think she has great backside leverage. Which translates into great frontside leverage. Even though she is shifting, she still has leverage.

May 12, 2016
NPF pitching > College pitching...but in terms of her ability to hit she obviously generates a good amount of bat speed due to a combination of her mechanics and athleticism (fast-switch/explosiveness) and even if her path may be less than optimal to some, her hand eye coordination/athleticism allows her to barrel up more balls compared to others who may have the same sort of path but who are not as blessed genetically or perhaps who have not worked as hard...
Romero has found success in the NPF, she still has high home run and RBI totals. She was in top 10 in HR's last year and 2nd in RBI's. You referenced Kretschman in your previous post, be blessed genetically with an ideal swing, why didn't she take advantage more of the college pitching and put up better HR numbers than Romero? I'm not being difficult here, but can we really say Romero's swing isn't as effective and just place it all on being athletic and being blessed genetically. I haven't look at all the best HR hitters over the years in college, but Chamberlain takes a very similar approach to Romero.