home made training aid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I made one I am pretty proud of.

Materials list:
Ball (drilled)
Strong lanyard (one with super-strong connector)
Dog Training Bumper (found one with a hollow center inside the foam insert - AND it's sb-yellow!)
BB's from the hunting section (the BB's I filled the inside of the Bumper to proper weight)

The sb scene here in the upper midwest thinks I have an amazing "new" product here but little do they know I stole the concept from here from you great folks! :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I went really cheap and used a whiffle ball, because I am not allowed to use the drill. Then, I tied it to an empty plastic container that was cylindrical. (Wet Wipes) You could also use a piece of pool noodle or another whiffle ball.

Mar 11, 2009
homemade.jpg
At Lowes or Home Depot buy the following:
1 qty-2" diameter black pvc tube cut to length( I used 6")
2 qty- PVC caps to fit above tubing(I used white rounded caps)
1 qty-1/4" soft white rope sold by the foot, cut to 3 feet....
1 qty-PVC glue can

It should weigh approximately 1 and 1/2 times the weight of a regulation ball when completed.
Drill 1/2" hole in center of one cap and all the way thru your softball of choice. Loop rope
thru ball and back thru hole. Put both ends of rope thu cap starting on outside of cap...
Then tie ropes in a knot on inside of cap, then secure the knot with tie wrap and or duct tape.
Then glue caps to PVC and waa laa your done. When not in use tie the looped end in a knot so
it dosn't slip thru the ball...

Here is the list, I will try and post the right pic tonight..Make and use at your own risk.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
I did the same thing, but apparenly I have shorter arms and deeper pockets than you, because I used a 20 oz gatorade bottle. Sat it, the rope and the ball on the wifes kitchen scale and added old nuts and bolts til I got the weight to the exact specs of the accellerator. Squirted some of that expanding foam selant "The Stuff" to keep the weights from bouncing around. I put the cap back on using some epoxy I had laying around.

This thing now comes out once in a great while as part of warm-ups. If there is ONE thing I learned about pitching, it's that there is no magic pixie dust, or any silver bullet training aid. Once you've got the proper instruction, it all comes down to ONE THING. You have to invest an enormous amount of hours, and it can't be that you only practice during the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45