Hitting the Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I think the issue with players hitting the change of up has to do with feet in the ground. Its not "Riding the backside" per say. It has to do with a player understanding what it means to get to launch. Most kids are thinking, fire the back side as toe touch or heal drop occurs. It should I think technically be even at heel drop both feet are still riding into the ground. The longer you can ride both feet into the ground the more adjustment it allows for the change up.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I think the issue with players hitting the change of up has to do with feet in the ground. Its not "Riding the backside" per say. It has to do with a player understanding what it means to get to launch. Most kids are thinking, fire the back side as toe touch or heal drop occurs. It should I think technically be even at heel drop both feet are still riding into the ground. The longer you can ride both feet into the ground the more adjustment it allows for the change up.
This advice helps my DD with several issues with her swing, thanks

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
BondsvBonds1.gif

Faced with the off speed pitch (on the right), after using the same amount of move out and momentum he always uses....(he gets to touchdown at the same time in both)....he controls his weight shift....he will not let it shift....until the off speed pitch arrives.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The Bonds elbow device should have been outlawed. It was not just a 'guard', it was an elbow lock.

The thing you are trying to achieve in hitting is getting the bat head to go past the hands as early as possible.

Bonds' 'device' made it so his front arm was never fully extended on outside/low/offspeed pitches. So his bathead would fly past his hands (in these situations) much earlier than any other player.

May 12, 2016
So last night head coach worked on change ups with the team. He actually told the batters that the change up was coming. I know this seems a little pointless, but he wanted the hitters just to see so many change ups as possible, see it out the pitchers hand etc. My DD still couldn't hit the change up, still way out in front... go figure. I mean if you know the change up is coming, it's no different than hitting a really slow pitcher. Not sure what to do anymore. I thank everybody for their drills, but if my DD can't hit a change up when she knows it being pitched, what chance does she have in a game when you are not sure if it's coming??? At this point I am thinking if you see a change up don't even bother swinging, unless 2 strikes against you.

I don't think she has the patience or discipline to sit back when she knows its coming. To make matters worse, we have a tournament this weekend, and the first game today is against a tough team with a pitcher that has a killer change up

Jun 8, 2016
So last night head coach worked on change ups with the team. He actually told the batters that the change up was coming. I know this seems a little pointless, but he wanted the hitters just to see so many change ups as possible, see it out the pitchers hand etc. My DD still couldn't hit the change up, still way out in front... go figure. I mean if you know the change up is coming, it's no different than hitting a really slow pitcher. Not sure what to do anymore. I thank everybody for their drills, but if my DD can't hit a change up when she knows it being pitched, what chance does she have in a game when you are not sure if it's coming??? At this point I am thinking if you see a change up don't even bother swinging, unless 2 strikes against you.

I don't think she has the patience or discipline to sit back when she knows its coming. To make matters worse, we have a tournament this weekend, and the first game today is against a tough team with a pitcher that has a killer change up
My kid a similar issue with slow pitching..These kids nowadays need to play more HR derby in the park where the pitcher just lobs it in ;). I honestly don't ever remember having difficulties adjusting to fastball speed variations but I also played stickball,speedball, wiffle ball, HR derby etc where the speed of the ball (along with distance) was always varying.

May 12, 2016
These kids nowadays need to play more HR derby in the park where the pitcher just lobs it in ;). I honestly don't ever remember having difficulties adjusting to fastball speed variations but I also played stickball,speedball, wiffle ball, HR derby etc where the speed of the ball (along with distance) was always varying.
Agreed pattar, same here, we use to play with tennis, wiffle balls using a pvc pipe, wooden bat, hockey stick handle, aluminum bat etc and everybody pitched (different spins, speeds etc)

May 12, 2016
Anyway kind of a helpless situation here, big tournament starting this weekend, I have nothing for her, and she doesn't have confidence to hit the changeup and she's knows its coming this evening. I am more concerned about her worries about hitting the change up will affect ability to hit the fastball.